New Irish pub in Sheffield

It's on my daily walk to work. It's been nice to see them gradually transform the place from a complete hole to a promising pub. Looked like it was incredibly hard work too - months of cleaning and sorting, so best of luck. I'll pop in on the way home one evening :)

So have they bought the pub or is it a pub company pub? I noticed the sign 'Bass Taverns' outside it, which makes me think that it's still a pub company pub and they'll have either bought the tenancy or the lease. If it'd been up for sale I'd have known about it (see 'Help me find a pub' thread)

The Alexandra is the new Irish Centre in Sheffield. A very inadequate position it lays in. Not central or easy to get to really. The Dog and Partridge is probably the only REAL irish pub in sheffield. It has many an irishman/woman regulars plus irish music, irish teenages, irish landlady. What more can you ask for. The pub has been run by Ann and her family for many many years. Her husband, sadly no longer with us, before that. she has raised her family in a traditional irish way even though living in sheffield.

The pub also boasts history of michael collins and co from many many years ago. Traditionally irish from the start. No other pub can be more irish!!!!

Good luck to them. The Alexandra was indeed a hole inside, but quite a nice old bulding. It once had a fine pint of hand-pulled Stones in there not that long ago. If they get some decent cask ale back then people will definitely seek it out. Also when the road-building is complete the traffic between it and the canal basin should be lessened (so they tell us) and it could help the whole area.

The D&P and Fagan's are great but there is room for more choice. Will it be known as 'Sheffield Irish Centre' in the manner of Leeds, Manchester and other cities? Could be a good live venue.

Being a regular musician in the dog, I've got to say that Anne (the landlady) is one of the nicest people you could ever wish to meet. I see a huge cross section of Sheffields public in there, NEVER any bother and the best pint of Guinness outside of Dublin!!! I dont think the fact that its an 'Irish' pub has owt to do with it.....its a good atmosphere, good ale and varied music!!

Good luck to the Alexandra, there's always room for more pubs of that ilk, but my spiritual home is the back room of the dog, especially on Tues and Fridays!! ;):heyhey:

Being a regular musician in the dog, I've got to say that Anne (the landlady) is one of the nicest people you could ever wish to meet.

you must know maurice and his band of merry men then! such characters. Tony Kelly holding the bar up for the last cenury it seems.

Originally posted by sezemeseeds

you must know maurice and his band of merry men then! such characters. Tony Kelly holding the bar up for the last cenury it seems.

Dont run into Maurice that much as he's more Sat and Sun dinnertime, but I've seen him play .........its an experience!!:bigsmile: Tony always comes and sits and watch us play, he is indeed a legend!!

Archived