Privatisation, NHS and food

hospital food is limited by the need to get hundreds if not thousands of covers served within an hour and with distances from kitchen to service of approaching a mile ( e.g. NGH or Pinderfields) ... consequently and i nthe light of foot safety legislation it;s unsuprising that the cook-chill muck is the preferred method...

answers on a post card please...

Well...it seems that maybe is not a problem of who is in charge of the food, either private companies or nhs? or could be any better with/without contractors?

What about the food available in restaurants and public/retail areas in hospitals, are they the same or better to what is served on wards?

I had a week stay and my partner had to bring me in fruit and biccies to cheer me up as the food was always cold by the time it reached me and often not what I ordered. The soup was the most disgusting watery yuck I have ever encountered and I thought no one could stuff up tomato soup.

I had a week stay and my partner had to bring me in fruit and biccies to cheer me up as the food was always cold by the time it reached me and often not what I ordered. The soup was the most disgusting watery yuck I have ever encountered and I thought no one could stuff up tomato soup.

yeah me too recently had another stay in hallamshire and have to say if you've got no family to bring you any food up your stuffed. the menu was last 3 things on offer i went for the packed ham sandwich and that was disgusting how can you muck a ham sandwich.

• 1 year later...

Seeing the chat on the BBC about the NHS reminded me to be annoyed about NHS food. My boyfriend recently had a week long stay in a hospital in Derbyshire and though it wasn't a priority at the time I was absolutely disgusted by the food they offered the patients. After his first op he was given a stale cheese sandwich (the safest option) with the thinest slice of something resembling cheese. Now this was out of hours so partially excusable except that the hot food was dodgy too!

It's kind of a skill making food that bad! Looking at the insanely varied menu (2.5 leaflet pages of hot food) I can't help thinking they need a visit from Gordon Ramsey. Things like chilli and soups can be made in huge bulk quantities very cheaply so why don't they leave the jamaican chicken out of the menu and make good quality cheap food instead.

No matter what I was like going in Im pretty sure I would come out malnourished!

I think the NHS do a pretty good job on the whole but the food they give the people in the most need of nourishment is a disgrace!

I started work in the NHS in 1970 (retired now) at Middlewood Hospital, all the catering was done "In house" in other words we all worked for the NHS. We used to have our lunch in the Dining Room there, the food was wonderful and subsidised, never sure whether the patients had the same food or not. I then left and went to work at The Royal Hallamshire Hospital and it was while I was working there that they started asking companies to put tenders in for the catering. The rest is history, also in those days there was only staff allowed to eat in the Hospital Dining Rooms. But i do think it was the right thing to let the public eat in, especially when visiting relatives. I suppose we have to move with the times.

There is a separate debate to be had over and above the NHS vs private argument and that is about funding.

Under Labour there was an increase in funding for the NHS, but it was directed towards 1) reducing waiting times 2) implementing new IT systems (most of which were delayed significantly and went vastly over budget) and 3) building new PFI buildings, not all for patient use. Funding for stuff that directly related to patient care (i.e. food, staffing levels, cleanliness) was often cut (at least in relation to the number of patients going through the health service).

The instrusion of the private sector on 2) and 3) with the advent of PFI has actually resulted in a vast waste of tax payers money

http://www.david-morrison.org.uk/pfi/pfi.htm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2002/oct/11/politics.publicservices

The idea that using the private sector on public projects is more efficient is a fallacy, propogated by politicians like Gordon Brown and David Cameron. Firstly any private company will attempt to maximise profits any way it can, which means that of the public money that is spent the minimum possible will go on actually what it was meant for, and the maximum possible will go into profit for the companies shareholders. Secondly if a private company makes efficiencies savings (and there are almost certainly savings available through big public sector organisations) they are not going to pass that saving onto the tax payer, they are going to keep it as profit. Why would a private company put work into making savings and then pass on the benefiits of that work to someone else?

A more sensible option would be to drive efficiency savings through the public sector by improving standards. Saved money could then be re-invested, rather than disappearing into the bank accounts of private companies.

Archived