Frank Sidebottom Back at The Boardwalk Fri 13th Nov

jazzamatazz

The comedy paper-mache head worn by Chris Sievey. Frank's first public appearance was on a promotional record distributed free with the video game 'The Biz' for the ZX Spectrum. Frank reached cult status in the late 80s with his bizarre, yet family friendly routines which often included tombolas and lectures. Frank has been relatively quiet in recent years, though his spherical head is one which will inevitably be reared again.

tickets from the boardwalk

£9.98:hihi::hihi:

Yay! I love Frank's stuff, but I've never seen him live.

A while ago I read this interview with Jon Ronson, who apparently in the late 1980s, was the keyboard player with the Frank Sidebottom Oh Blimey Big Band.

The bit that stuck in my head was:

By mid-tour, our audiences had dwindled from 500 or so to 30 if we were lucky. Chris always said that his favourite shows were the ones where everything went wrong. There were lots of those in the latter half of the tour. In Dudley, there can't have been more than 15 people in the audience. Midway through, someone produced a ball. The audience split into two teams and, ignoring us, played a [football] game. As we came off stage that night, Chris took off the head and said: "That was the best show ever."

Excellent news; Frank was one of my 'anti-heroes' in the 1980's and even now is a secret influence for my own act. I believe I once saw him live at one of the big alternative/peace festivals in London, but I chiefly remember him from various avant-garde TV shows, such as The Tube, 'Riverside', '01 For London', etc...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived