Skills swaps

In this time when money's value is far from stable, and hard-earned cash becomes as pittance in the light of trying rising costs... why not start valuing our time differently and get things done in an olde style... Skill-swaps.

I'm genuinely interested in what folks think of this (I've been pondering it more and more... it works neatly alongside money, but it doesn't complicated itself with tax or greed or multi-nationals...), and also would like to put the first suggestion in...

Im a massage therapist and I do a very effective form of Chinese massage called Tuina, which is deep tissue... look up tuinauk.com for more info. I am also an English language tutor and work with kids, and I do reiki.

I'm looking for a hair-cut (a good-quality trim, nowt fancy but nowt crap either!!:))

So, any hairdressers suffering from frozen shoulders? RSI? Stress and tension? Let's swap!

Let's open the Sheffield swap-shop

I did make a similar suggestion last year but no-one was interested.

I wanted help with the garden, could do someones washing, ironing,cook a few dishes, do some sewing, cleaning.

Sorry don't cut hair, good luck.

Yes I think this subject has been covered before, its like old fashioned bartering, great idea, need someone to keep a book of people and skills. Dont mind doing this, but would need a bit of help starting a database.

Why would you need a book? It could be done on here the same way there is an exchange thread for homes.

In this time when money's value is far from stable, and hard-earned cash becomes as pittance in the light of trying rising costs... why not start valuing our time differently and get things done in an olde style... Skill-swaps.

I'm genuinely interested in what folks think of this (I've been pondering it more and more... it works neatly alongside money, but it doesn't complicated itself with tax or greed or multi-nationals...), and also would like to put the first suggestion in...

Im a massage therapist and I do a very effective form of Chinese massage called Tuina, which is deep tissue... look up tuinauk.com for more info. I am also an English language tutor and work with kids, and I do reiki.

I'm looking for a hair-cut (a good-quality trim, nowt fancy but nowt crap either!!:))

So, any hairdressers suffering from frozen shoulders? RSI? Stress and tension? Let's swap!

Let's open the Sheffield swap-shop

You give me a massage and i will come and clean your oven.:suspect:

that sounds like a great idea a skills swap shop thumbs up from me however i cant do hair cuts im just saying thats a good idea.

I will have a bloody damn good go at cutting her hair,if it gets me my massage.:heyhey:

Why would you need a book? It could be done on here the same way there is an exchange thread for homes.

You need to keep accounts so that you can pay the correct VAT on services. Otherwise, the taxman comes poking around and you all land in the soup.

This is exactly what is wrong these days. No-one can do anything to help themselves without government interference.

If no money changes hands between 2 individuals, it should be nobody else's business.

You do NOT have to provide VAT on genuinely free servives.

That said: You must not receive any payment, goods or services in return.

It's insane that VAT is chargeable on an exchange of services, including barter. Although how do you charge VAT on nothing?

Archived