Skills swaps

You do NOT have to provide VAT on genuinely free servives.

That said: You must not receive any payment, goods or services in return.

It's insane that VAT is chargeable on an exchange of services, including barter. Although how do you charge VAT on nothing?

VAT is not payable on "nothing," as you rightly point out. But if you provide someone with £100 worth of massages, and that person provides you with £100 worth of fence-painting, you both owe VAT on the deal. You're not allowed to use barter as a means of avoiding tax.

In this time when money's value is far from stable, and hard-earned cash becomes as pittance in the light of trying rising costs... why not start valuing our time differently and get things done in an olde style... Skill-swaps.

I'm genuinely interested in what folks think of this (I've been pondering it more and more... it works neatly alongside money, but it doesn't complicated itself with tax or greed or multi-nationals...), and also would like to put the first suggestion in...

Im a massage therapist and I do a very effective form of Chinese massage called Tuina, which is deep tissue... look up tuinauk.com for more info. I am also an English language tutor and work with kids, and I do reiki.

I'm looking for a hair-cut (a good-quality trim, nowt fancy but nowt crap either!!:))

So, any hairdressers suffering from frozen shoulders? RSI? Stress and tension? Let's swap!

Let's open the Sheffield swap-shop

Exactly this sort of scheme is already up and running in Sheffield.

It's called SHEFFIELD LETS.

It produces a directory every quarter with a list of members, their skills, and a contact number. It covers a wide range of skills from building work to Arts and crafts and just about everything in between. Everyone can offer something even if it's just house sitting or dog walking.

You collect points (called stones) by doing work, and pay out these points when you want work done for you. It works very well but is always looking for new people to add to its list as the more people it gets the more successful it will be.

To join (or make enquiries) contact Sheffield Lets, Tel. 0114 221 6804 or

email info@sheffieldlets.org.uk

They also have a website - http://www.sheffieldlets.org.uk

VAT is not payable on "nothing," as you rightly point out. But if you provide someone with £100 worth of massages, and that person provides you with £100 worth of fence-painting, you both owe VAT on the deal. You're not allowed to use barter as a means of avoiding tax.

Yes. That's a good point! :)

It's a ridiculous system - the height of capitalism.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello. I'm also interested in swapping skills. I can offer plumbing and gas work as well as basic singing tuition. In return, I need someone to help me design a new business card and flyer for my business, so....graffic-design and printing? I think we need a database to help us keep track of all our different skills! 'Lets' might be the way.... Has anyone had any experiences with it?

Archived