All things Euro Election results thread.

that the reason for the sudden rise in the BNP vote is more because of disaffectation than actually being racist.

What "sudden rise" in the BNP vote exactly? Their share of the vote went down.

It's the Labour voting feckwits who stayed away, rather than vote for another party, that we have to thank for the BNP MEP in Yorkshire & Humber region.

The BNP had nothing to do with it.

It's the Labour voting feckwits who stayed away, rather than vote for another party, that we have to thank for the BNP MEP in Yorkshire & Humber region.

That's assuming that everyone who might vote BNP did. Apparently they are the best at getting their vote out due to less voter apathy but if the overall vote was higher, it's reasonable to assume the BNP's would have been too but to a lesser degree. It's difficult to compare European election turnouts because they often depend on what other elections are happening at the same time.

Having said all that, the BNP would almost certainly not have won any seats had the overall turnout been somewhat higher.

You are of course right.

Does it make you a racist to question whether multiculturalism has worked? Does it make you racist to question whether the current numbers of new immigrants can be harmoniously integrated? Does it make you racist to question whether it's a good idea to have large areas in our towns and cities where English is rarely heard?

Maybe it does. So what do you do if you want to ask these questions?

No, I don't necessarily believe it does. It doesn't stop the BNP being a lying, racist party though.

My point wasn't concerning the matters you raise, but the fact that people who are disaffected with the main parties, and who aren't racist, and who don't question the matters you mention, voted for this party, rather than others on the fringes.

That's assuming that everyone who might vote BNP did. Apparently they are the best at getting their vote out due to less voter apathy but if the overall vote was higher, it's reasonable to assume the BNP's would have been too but to a lesser degree. It's difficult to compare European election turnouts because they often depend on what other elections are happening at the same time.

Having said all that, the BNP would almost certainly not have won any seats had the overall turnout been somewhat higher.

Of course, fair play to the BNP - they did know that this election was their big chance, with the political climate in turmoil and massive disaffection amongst labour voters. But looking at the numbers it seems they scraped through with both their candidates.

If you translate share of the vote into votes at the general election, the BNP are nowhere. But that rarely holds true, especially when the next General Election comes around.

No, I don't necessarily believe it does. It doesn't stop the BNP being a lying, racist party though.

My point wasn't concerning the matters you raise, but the fact that people who are disaffected with the main parties, and who aren't racist, and who don't question the matters you mention, voted for this party, rather than others on the fringes.

Were there large numbers of voters as you describe above or have you just explained the good result for UKIP (and the Greens in terms of overall share)?

Of course, fair play to the BNP - they did know that this election was their big chance, with the political climate in turmoil and massive disaffection amongst labour voters. But looking at the numbers it seems they scraped through with both their candidates.

If you translate share of the vote into votes at the general election, the BNP are nowhere. But that rarely holds true, especially when the next General Election comes around.

They scraped in largely by mobilising their core supporters reasonably well. What is comforting is that they don't seem to have made a leap into mainstream, even allowing for such dissafection with mainstream politics as is currently being experienced.

Interestingly their vote held up less well in places where they have traditionally been stronger (or that seems to be the case, I haven't had time to properly run over all the figures). In Burnley, where they have a councillor, BNP vote was down even after Labour's decimation. Similarly in Yorks/Humber, where they were already relatively established in '04, there vote is down slightly. I haven't checked the overall North West stats, that said. They have increased voter numbers in the UK overall, but seemingly in areas coming from a very low base, suggesting perhaps they are close to exhausting a core group, where latent far-right sympathies seem to exist normally.

Then you'll know that alcohol is taxed uniformly, and the margins on all products are identical. And that Systembolaget (the state off-licence monopoly) has the sort of buying power Oddbins would kill for.

A bottle of wine starts at about £5...

No I didnt know, since I dont drink, my post was a playful one, based on Sweden's historical view towards alcohol consumption;)

Archived