ES feat. Nic Fanciulli & Reset Robot - Sat 13th June @ 02 Academy

AlBal

I have ample respect for the man... I've got a backlog of renaissance and northern exposure cds... He was an innovator and a genius...

Just now-a-days, times have changed, scenes have changed and I think he has struggled to adapt so quick... Fanciulli is much more on the ball.

Want a certificate? ;)

Only joking, I wouldn't disagree. Plus, I'm not sure about the Ableton live thing. Traktor I get, but Ableton is all a bit too polished for my liking.

I have ample respect for the man... I've got a backlog of renaissance and northern exposure cds... He was an innovator and a genius...

Just now-a-days, times have changed, scenes have changed and I think he has struggled to adapt so quick... Fanciulli is much more on the ball.

I agree that Fanciulli is more relevant these days but I don't think Sasha would see it as a failure to adapt. The world has adapted around him, fair play to him for sticking to his guns.

Some of the recent Coma stuff has unbelieveable production quality and his mixes are great to listen to for a change.

When it comes to Ableton, Sasha is one of a few DJ's where it really suits his style and complements him well, you wouldn't have so many amazing "live" sets these days if Sasha hadn't pioneered some of those techniques.

Having said all that, I'd probably go for Fanciulli if it came down to a straight choice.

I've no doubt someone will disagree and fair play to them. Sasha has a very solid fanbase who think he can do no wrong and he has done an enormous amount and you don't stay at the top for 20 years like he has without being quality.

Want a certificate? ;)

Only joking, I wouldn't disagree. Plus, I'm not sure about the Ableton live thing. Traktor I get, but Ableton is all a bit too polished for my liking.

EXACTLY - I've had this argument so many times before but it's normally with people who's only experience of 'DJing' (I use that term loosely) has been through Ableton. Any software where you have to prepare you tracks beforehand is not proper DJing. The workflow in Traktor mimics a real set of decks - you can just load your tracks straight in and mix them. I don't think Ableton was even originally intended to be DJ software - more live performance software.

BTW this is not a dig at Sasha - he's great and so is Fanciulli. :)

EXACTLY - I've had this argument so many times before but it's normally with people who's only experience of 'DJing' (I use that term loosely) has been through Ableton. Any software where you have to prepare you tracks beforehand is not proper DJing. The workflow in Traktor mimics a real set of decks - you can just load your tracks straight in and mix them. I don't think Ableton was even originally intended to be DJ software - more live performance software.

Would you be able to define "proper DJing" to me then please? Deep Dish used to re-edit every single track they played, does this preparation detract from the artform?

Perhaps Ableton was not originally developed as DJ software but from about issue 5 onwards it has been a program for DJing, producing and live performance.

I dont use Ableton to DJ with but I don't like the concept that there is a right or wrong way to DJ from a fundemantal point of view. It should be about the sound coming out of the speakers not the method of input.

Woah, we need to calm this down. First of all the majority agree on something. Then I agree with Rossian. Is this the new world order?

Would you be able to define "proper DJing" to me then please? Deep Dish used to re-edit every single track they played, does this preparation detract from the artform?

Perhaps Ableton was not originally developed as DJ software but from about issue 5 onwards it has been a program for DJing, producing and live performance.

I dont use Ableton to DJ with but I don't like the concept that there is a right or wrong way to DJ from a fundemantal point of view. It should be about the sound coming out of the speakers not the method of input.

I think you can see what Rossian is getting at if you think about it objectively. IMO Ableton is more like sequencing, or playing a live show (Chem's, Orbital, Daft Punk etc). There's a lot more pre-progaramming goes into an Ableton live set, and that's where it loses it's appeal for me. Although traktor is about manipulating digital tracks it is a much easier tool to work with 'on the fly' therefore more suited to traditional dancefloor dj's.

I think you can see what Rossian is getting at if you think about it objectively. IMO Ableton is more like sequencing, or playing a live show (Chem's, Orbital, Daft Punk etc). There's a lot more pre-progaramming goes into an Ableton live set, and that's where it loses it's appeal for me. Although traktor is about manipulating digital tracks it is a much easier tool to work with 'on the fly' therefore more suited to traditional dancefloor dj's.

Ableton does take time to make preparations but there is far more sound manipulation you can do 'on the fly' than Traktor; not just effects but looping, EQ's and all manner of editing. If you were creating a whole set at home then bringing the laptop along and playing it to a crowd of people passively then that is clearly not 'proper DJing' but if all you are doing is beatmarking then doing everything else live it can be much more intricate than anything else available.

This is all entirely irrelevant anyway; as I mentioned above, there is no point discussing the medium when the end product is the important thing.

Archived