ES feat. Nic Fanciulli & Reset Robot - Sat 13th June @ 02 Academy

AlBal

Im presuming by certain promoters, you mean us guys having not got a mention in the above post? Yes, we’ve been plugging away for over 3 years, and im happy to say at this moment in time im pleased ive stuck with it!

We didn’t do much in terms of Cargo parties last year but the mango* project has been a huge success, all 3 day time events last summer were amazing and the past 2 have been even better. This coupled with the Cargo after parties at the Lions Lair has worked sooo well, when you’ve got a club full of people at 6am in the morning begging for more, we must be doing something right!

Im confident the August event will be no different, so confident we have just secured the services of our guest dj. I’ll not let the cat out of the bag just yet, but lets just say he’s playing at Sonar tomorrow and is a regular circo loco guest.

People have been trying to build the scene from the 'bottom up' as you say for the past few years, ever since the big nights like Bed, Gatecrasher, Scuba and Pin Up Club disappeared. UG continued valiantly for a while, but even they succumbed to the disillusion and fickle Sheffield crowd. Unfortunately it seems that there just isn't a market out there for it. Small nights like Diasha and Fragment have built up a loyal following, but they'll never become so called 'big' nights, which maybe isn't a bad thing. Certain promoters and DJ's keep plugging away to keep the scene alive, but there isn't much support out there.

You use the term 'big nights' as if it is really relevant anymore; there are barely any nights the size of gatecrasher etc anywhere anymore. Pin up club is a good example, and it's not too much of a stretch to see any of the nights I mentioned getting to that level, they haven't been going all that long.

Sheffield definately doesn't have a scene the same as some comparable cities but that isn't all down to the punters themselves, there has been a massive lack of investment in the scene and some of the promoters seem to think (from a cutomer point of view) that if they book DJ's they like, loads of people should turn up.

Im presuming by certain promoters, you mean us guys having not got a mention in the above post? Yes, we’ve been plugging away for over 3 years, and im happy to say at this moment in time im pleased ive stuck with it!

We didn’t do much in terms of Cargo parties last year but the mango* project has been a huge success, all 3 day time events last summer were amazing and the past 2 have been even better. This coupled with the Cargo after parties at the Lions Lair has worked sooo well, when you’ve got a club full of people at 6am in the morning begging for more, we must be doing something right!

Im confident the August event will be no different, so confident we have just secured the services of our guest dj. I’ll not let the cat out of the bag just yet, but lets just say he’s playing at Sonar tomorrow and is a regular circo loco guest.

I didn't mention Cargo as you haven't been running regular monthly events like Fragment or Diasha for some time now.

By booking a guest for August does that mean you'll be charging an entry fee?

You use the term 'big nights' as if it is really relevant anymore; there are barely any nights the size of gatecrasher etc anywhere anymore. Pin up club is a good example, and it's not too much of a stretch to see any of the nights I mentioned getting to that level, they haven't been going all that long.

Sheffield definately doesn't have a scene the same as some comparable cities but that isn't all down to the punters themselves, there has been a massive lack of investment in the scene and some of the promoters seem to think (from a cutomer point of view) that if they book DJ's they like, loads of people should turn up.

Sheffield doesn't have a scene as there aren't enough people into 'underground' dance music in the city. It's a fact.

I didn't mention Cargo as you haven't been running regular monthly events like Fragment or Diasha for some time now.

By booking a guest for August does that mean you'll be charging an entry fee?

Fair comment.

We will be adopting the same policy as we always have, mango* will be free and Cargo will be a minimal fee of £2/£3/£4. Anyone attending mango* will be entitled to discounted entry by way of stamp type thing.

Just on another point to throw into this argument/discussion or whatever. Our last event was over run by people from Leeds in search of something different, the general consensus being they are tired of the pretentious attitude there.

Obviously this is only a one off occasion and we had 2 Leeds based DJ's playing but its good to know all the same.

Sheffield doesn't have a scene as there aren't enough people into 'underground' dance music in the city. It's a fact.

Wow, could you show me the data for this please? If you're going to state something as fact I'd like you to back it up.

Archived