ES feat. Nic Fanciulli & Reset Robot - Sat 13th June @ 02 Academy

AlBal

Just on another point to throw into this argument/discussion or whatever. Our last event was over run by people from Leeds in search of something different, the general consensus being they are tired of the pretentious attitude there.

Obviously this is only a one off occasion and we had 2 Leeds based DJ's playing but its good to know all the same.

Pretentious or not (and I don't think Leeds is pretentious), you cannot argue with what's going on up there. Consistently the best line ups and attended events outside of London. DJ's are falling over themselves to play at Asylum and System.

Check the attendance of so called 'underground' dance nights vs other nights in the city.

That doesn't prove that no-one like the music at all, why do people (promoters in particular) seem to blame the clubbers themselves for the failing of everyone else? What other industry fails, then tries to blame its customers for its own failings?

I know loads of people in Sheffield who love great underground music but are put off by all variety of differnt reasons: crap venues, exorbitant entry fees, same old DJ's but most of all a lack of knowledge; look at any other city the size of Sheffield and you'll see huge posters everywhere telliing you whats going on and where and then you come to Sheffield and see some A4 posters and some people complaining on a forum.

You use the term 'big nights' as if it is really relevant anymore; there are barely any nights the size of gatecrasher etc anywhere anymore. Pin up club is a good example, and it's not too much of a stretch to see any of the nights I mentioned getting to that level, they haven't been going all that long.

Sheffield definately doesn't have a scene the same as some comparable cities but that isn't all down to the punters themselves, there has been a massive lack of investment in the scene and some of the promoters seem to think (from a cutomer point of view) that if they book DJ's they like, loads of people should turn up.

So as a punter, what do you want?

That doesn't prove that no-one like the music at all, why do people (promoters in particular) seem to blame the clubbers themselves for the failing of everyone else? What other industry fails, then tries to blame its customers for its own failings?

I know loads of people in Sheffield who love great underground music but are put off by all variety of differnt reasons: crap venues, exorbitant entry fees, same old DJ's but most of all a lack of knowledge; look at any other city the size of Sheffield and you'll see huge posters everywhere telliing you whats going on and where and then you come to Sheffield and see some A4 posters and some people complaining on a forum.

Okay, so you have Diasha. A few quid in, deep house. Fragment, again a few quid in and a pretty varied music policy. Sulphate, a few quid in again, some pretty varied electronica there. Electrosexual, you had a bad experience there this week but they book some pretty big names in the electro scene. Isn't there anything here to interest you?

Regarding promotion. Do you know how hard it is to promote a night in Sheffield? Flyposting is illegal and there are very few places to my knowledge provided where you can post legally. Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but you now have to hold a license (which costs money) to hand out flyers.

Sheffield had one of the best established nights outside of Leeds and London in UG. Even that suffered towards the end. You can't tell me that they did anything wrong to the good people of Sheffield.

Pretentious or not (and I don't think Leeds is pretentious), you cannot argue with what's going on up there. Consistently the best line ups and attended events outside of London. DJ's are falling over themselves to play at Asylum and System.

I can only tell you what the kids are telling me. You cant argue with the line-ups they get up there true, but its not all as rosey as you may think up there.

I have a good relationship with the lads who run, TW_TS, Louche & Krutch & Fluct and they are all experiencing decline in numbers etc. System is only rammed when you have the likes of Loco Dice playing, every other Saturday isn’t that busy, even with a decent headliner on. The last decent Asylum with Nick Curly and Simon Baker – plenty in but not as busy as say the early Louche events and not half as busy as Technique used to get.

Im not trying to say that Sheffield is amazing cos it is’nt and Leeds offers so much more week in week out, but you’ve only got to look at the reasons why Technique dosnt run anymore, why Ayslum is once every other month, why Louche and mono_cult have joined forces, and why the recent magic bag event was a total flop to realise the numbers are down up there too.

Having just reeled off that lot, it may be that fact there is too much choice! Ha ha.

At the end of the day, we all live in Sheffield so lets make the most of what we have and at least support each others efforts!!

Okay, so you have Diasha. A few quid in, deep house. Fragment, again a few quid in and a pretty varied music policy. Sulphate, a few quid in again, some pretty varied electronica there. Electrosexual, you had a bad experience there this week but they book some pretty big names in the electro scene. Isn't there anything here to interest you?

I regularly attend both Diasha and Fragment and enjoy both, I also tend to go to Mango and went to the last Cargo at Lions Lair too which was really good. A lot of people don't like Penelopes, DQ or Redroom. Lets be honest they are nowhere near the quality of Sankeys or Mint are they? I've never been to Electrosexual to be honest, none of their line-ups has really inspired me.

Some of my friends have stopped going to Fragment every week recently too as they tend to have a lot of Leeds and Manchester based DJ's which is all well and good but like I mentioned, they can go to a better venue than DQ in either of those cities and not have the bouncers leering over the cubicle at them whilst they try to use the toilet!

I regularly attend both Diasha and Fragment and enjoy both, I also tend to go to Mango and went to the last Cargo at Lions Lair too which was really good. A lot of people don't like Penelopes, DQ or Redroom. Lets be honest they are nowhere near the quality of Sankeys or Mint are they? I've never been to Electrosexual to be honest, none of their line-ups has really inspired me.

Some of my friends have stopped going to Fragment every week recently too as they tend to have a lot of Leeds and Manchester based DJ's which is all well and good but like I mentioned, they can go to a better venue than DQ in either of those cities and not have the bouncers leering over the cubicle at them whilst they try to use the toilet!

I'm totally with you on the venue front. To me Sheffield only has one excellent venue (The Fez) and I have no idea what's happening with that now.

Regarding promotion. Do you know how hard it is to promote a night in Sheffield? Flyposting is illegal and there are very few places to my knowledge provided where you can post legally. Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but you now have to hold a license (which costs money) to hand out flyers.

Which of your successful nights should I take as a guide for "how to promote" then? Maybe I've not tried to promote a night in Sheffield but there is no need to patronise me like you have all the answers.

Whats your point? I said that there was a lack of information and that therefore the clubbers weren't always to blame. You seem to have confirmed that fact for me, thanks.

Which of your successful nights should I take as a guide for "how to promote" then? Maybe I've not tried to promote a night in Sheffield but there is no need to patronise me like you have all the answers.

Whats your point? I said that there was a lack of information and that therefore the clubbers weren't always to blame. You seem to have confirmed that fact for me, thanks.

I'm not saying I'm the perfect promoter, I've only dabbled myself but I'd say it qualifies me to comment. I'm also not wishing to patronise but from your comments it appears that you've never done any promoting yourself. If I'm wrong, then I'm sorry.

This is only a debate, and a decent one at that (although it's been had many times before). There's no need to get touchy.

And my point was, you indicated that there is a lack of info in Sheffield and that this was down to poor promotions. I added that promoting in Sheffield is difficult due to rules and regulations, not because people can't be bothered.

look at any other city the size of Sheffield and you'll see huge posters everywhere telliing you whats going on and where and then you come to Sheffield and see some A4 posters and some people complaining on a forum.

Posters of that size cost a lot of money. Small underground nights such as the ones in discussion do not really have resources to pay 250+ on promotion.

And the large billboards in and around Sheffield city centre where nights do display what’s going on are apparently owned by ****'s, and again, you have to pay to use them...

And yes you do have to have a license now to hand out flyers and its 80quid...

I understand your point where its unfair of promoters to made some ****ty posters and stick a few up down West Strreet then complain that there is no scene is Sheffield and blame their failure on punters (or lack of)... But that isn't the case the majority of the time.

Yes, at Fragment we have had a lot of Leeds and Manchester based djs, other djs that have made a name for themselves in the city they reside in and therefore have gained decent reputations. Also, djs that will give a good set, good tunes and are affordable.

But, even us as promoters have grown tired of booking residents from other nights, we want to give Sheffield more than that, so after our summer hiatus you can expect to see some bigger named djs coming to play.

Archived