Burtons Tailor Attercliffe.

Next to the adelphi on the main Attercliffe road is a large building that says Burtons on top. These days its a car body panel centre (Bodicar) Just got to wondering if anyone knows what year it stopped being Burtons tailors? The building appears to have been actually built for the burtons group maybe 1920s-1930s.

Found some history here

http://www.arcadiagroup.co.uk/about/brandhistory/burton.html

I'm not familiar with Attercliffe Road but the 1973 Kelly's Directory shows Montague Burton at 582-596 Attercliffe Road (on the corner of Staniforth Road) and so this branch must have survived at least as long as this. They were not there in the mid-1920s as I happen to have the 1925 directory which shows five smaller businesses at 582-596.

Moshe Osinsky (later known as Sir Montague Maurice Burton) certainly had the headquarters of his business in Sheffield and so it's quite likely that he lived at Nether Edge as hank suggests.

Had a look at the Sheffield archives, and they don't have one picture of the Attercliffe Burtons, but they have a load of the building which is now Primark, and apparently this was a Burtons! You can't imagine a Burtons needing such a large store these days, can you?

• 2 years later...

only me burtons menswear was at the junction of staniforth rd and attercliffe rd, the adelphi was further down attercliffe. my mum joyce sykes and her aunty gladys green were usherettes there when I was little and my dad used to take me to the pictures and I was allowed in the room where the ice cream fridges were and always got a free tub - brilliant!!

I worked for the ministry of works from 1965 to 1972 and worked in both these buildings.

The one on the corner of staniforth rd used the upstairs for DHSS am sure it was still a Burtons downstairs at the time and the one near the adlephi was also used by a goverment department again could have been DHSS or Unemployment as it was near to the old labour exchange further down the common opposite where the Police station is now

Archived