Burtons Tailor Attercliffe.

If Burtons on the corner of Attercliffe Rd and Staniforth Rd had the dance hall above, it would have to have been the Astoria Ballroom, I remember it being there in the late forties until the mid fifties anyway, don't know if it went on longer than this though, I've got to say I spent many a happy hour there. - Who knew, I thought Burtons was a large chain with headquarters being in London somewhere not Sheffield, to my thinking they were always similar in appearance to the 'Fifty Shilling Tailors' (or the Fifty Bob) and where you found one you found the other.

It seems some folk dont remember there was a Burtons on the corner next to the Adelphi. I dont lol im not quite that old . The building i mention is the car body panel centre you can actually see above it Burtons carved in the stone. I wonder if there were two Burtons on the Cliffe operating at the same time? Or perhaps it was moved to the corner of Staniforth rd in later years? Sorry for the cofusion lol.

Archived