Speedwatch

Not shouting at all Jeremy.

But please, this time, answer my question -

How would you feel if one of your family, your wife or one of your kids, were killed by a speeding driver? A driver who was driving at 36 miles per hour on a 30mph road. A driver who could have driven more slowly and consequently more safely but didn't because he didn't feel that he had to?

31 mph in a 30 zone = breaking the law, speeding = speedophile.

Yes?

Do you think it's clever or justified to label anyone who speeds with a tag that is so obviously similar to another tag that is applied to someone who molests and rapes young children, effectively implying that both actions are the same?

And you wonder why anyone should get insulted by this!

Well, I am and I have reacted in a similar fashion.

I make no apologies - my actions were a reaction.

Your opinion of me was/is based initially on a single situation - I was fined for driving 36 mph in a 30 zone.

From that you label me a paedophile, sorry 'speedophile' (forgive the confusion) and the rest is history.

Leave it now. If you ever answer my question, I'll answer yours. (And if you do answer my question, don't quote me the law - I get it. It's about whether you consider there to be any degree of tolerance or whether 31mph in a 30 zone is dangerous driving, in your book, and therefore you are justified in calling anyone who exeeds the speed limit by any factor a 'speedophile')

I'll not hold my breath.

Tell you what Xranus - forget it.

You live in your black and white world and I'll live in the world full of lots of different colours.

At least one is for sure, people like me get your heart pumping and your blood boiling - so we serve a purpose (we relieve the boredom for you).

Originally Posted by Xranus

Not shouting at all Jeremy.

But please, this time, answer my question -

How would you feel if one of your family, your wife or one of your kids, were killed by a speeding driver? A driver who was driving at 36 miles per hour on a 30mph road. A driver who could have driven more slowly and consequently more safely but didn't because he didn't feel that he had to?

I'm being very unfair avoiding your question, so I will respond.

Firstly, in an emotional state of mind I would want to hit out at anyone and anything to assuage the torment and despair I felt. I would be irrational, illogical and uncompromising.

That's how the human animal is when dealing with such emoitions - I know, I've felt it. Both parents lost within a couple of years (and no, I am not in my fifties and they were not in their 80's/90's). Still, when you lose someone that close to you, age doesn't really come in to it.

So, in that emotional, irrational state, I would condemn ALL drivers who exeed the speed limit on any given stretch of road by any factor that denotes them as having broken the law (i.e. 31 in a 30 zone, 41 in a 40 zone and so on).

I would think it acceptable to label them with a tag that is a few letters away from, but obvious to all and sundry, from another tag that is, perhaps in most people's eyes, the worst from of offender there is - a paedophile..... sp[a]eedophile.

And when some who feel insulted react, I'd be indignant in my defence of my position.

I would like to think, though, that eventually I would be more rational in my approach and be less all-encompassing in my condemnation.

There may be, you see, mitigating circumstances - the driver may have been under the influence of alcohol or drugs; they may have been talking on the mobile (not hands free), the may have been distracted, say looking at a map for directions, the road may have been icy and attempts to brake may have been futile (I once caused £1600 of damage to a car that slipped in frost on the road - I was in first gear, trying to turn around a 90 degree bend; car slipped, I broke, car hit the kerb, ruined the front and rear axles, destroyed the 4 wheel drive transmission [maybe I shouldn't have been 'speeding').

Nothing in life, despite how you may wish to view it, is never quite so simple.

When I drive, I drive above the speed limit many times - not because I have a lust for speed, not because I want to drive dangerously or wrecklessly, but because I am paying acute attention to my surroundings - parked cars, pedestrians, road conditions, other road users (cyclists, vehicles behind me, vehicles heading towards me etc., etc.,) I check the speedo every now and then, but not religiously as I feel it is far safer and more sensible to be aware of what is going on around you than simply sticking to the speedo.

What if the driver doing 36 mph in a 30 happened to have been checking their speed at the precise moment my young son or daughter ran out on to the road (their size meaning they were obscured from view)? To say that that could never happen would be simply skewing the facts to suit your intolerant view - speed kills, period!

I once pulled up a notorious crossroads in Mitchum. I could not go across as there was a van coming from the right. I waited for it to pass, looked both ways across the junction, pulled off slowly as it was raining heavily and I did not wish to wheel spin and get nowhere. Bang! Car smashed in to side of me, coming from the left. Never saw it. Came from nowhere. Couldn't believe how I had managed to not see it.

By the way, I wasn't travelling at any speed say greater than 10 mph.

Seems there is a 'blind spot' on the door stave at the side of the windscreen. I checked later and you can 'lose' a Luton van for a second or two.

Thankfully, the other person was shaken, but unhurt. However, they could have been driving without a seat belt on or the belt could have been defective. I don't know, but I do not think he was driving above the speed limit. The force of sudden stopping could have resulted in him being thrown through the windscreen with potentially fatal consequences.

Would speed have killed him then?

In sumamry and in answer to your question - I would hope that I would consider ALL the factors and not just blindly focus on one, speed, and be irrational for the rest of my life.

More people are killed annually by speeding than by any other crime.

It does not matter what causes a road accident, speed will determine the seriousness of that accident and as to whether it is fatal or not.

For this reason speeding must be treated far more seriously by the police and courts.

Thats utter boxxocks. Most accidents are caused by driver error, not speeding. If you are a sensible driver you drive to the conditions of the road around you. I am an advanced driver having taken an advanced driving test and yes I admit speeding if I consider it safe to do so. If the road conditions are fine and no traffic around and nobody about either I often do 40 in a 30 limit and more on the dual carriageways on national speed limits. Most accidents are caused by people racing each other, tailgaiting, misjudging the roads and overtaking

Thats utter boxxocks. Most accidents are caused by driver error, not speeding. If you are a sensible driver you drive to the conditions of the road around you. I am an advanced driver having taken an advanced driving test and yes I admit speeding if I consider it safe to do so. If the road conditions are fine and no traffic around and nobody about either I often do 40 in a 30 limit and more on the dual carriageways on national speed limits. Most accidents are caused by people racing each other, tailgaiting, misjudging the roads and overtaking

Thankfully, the police and the courts take in to account statistics, that indicate that speed is the major factor in road fatalities in a very small percentage (I think something like 5% of road deaths can be attributed to excessive speed).

Xranus is of the opinion that, if you drive a car at ANY speed over the speed limit (i.e. 31mph in a 30 zone) you are a danger and should be punished far mor severely than mere points and miniscule fine.

By ignoring any other factors in road accidents, be they fatal or otherwise, is taking a very simplistic and ignorant view.

It's almost like saying, if speeding (any speed over the speed limit) were eradicated by some means or other, road accidents and road deaths would never happen.

Jensen Button-Life imprisonment !

All Isle of man TT riders - Off with their heads!

The Stig - Hang drawing and quartering

Ambulance drivers - Lethal injection and ambulances crushed!

All of the above have a blatant disregard for the laws of the road and have no excuses! They have on many occasion been seen "speedophiling" on public roads with total disregard to their own safety! Such idiotic speeds deserve- Nay ! ..demand the perpetrators should permanently be forcibly removed from this mortal coil. They are complete imbeciles who get a kick by a flagrant disregard the law. Well they do in mr Anus's blinkered little life! :hihi:

FOR SALE - Brain transplant vouchers

Daftlad. If you have, as you have told us, passed your advanced driving test then you should know that speeding, however a road accident is caused,determines the seriousness of that accident. If you are driving (dare I say speeding) at 40 mph in a 30mph limit then you are totally irresponsible and if involved in an accident the seriousness and end result of that accident is quite likely to be far more severe than if you had been driving legally and more safely at the correct speed for that road. Just because you assume that it is safe to speed on a quiet road and assume that there are no other road users does not mean that it is safe to do so.

Archived