Speedwatch

Perhaps you could name a few then.

With pleasure.

Mr A, an advanced driver, is driving a brand-new car with ABS and traction control along a deserted stretch of motorway at 120 mph. It's broad daylight and he can see ahead for 1.5 miles. There aren't any vehicles in sight. The road is in good condition and he is alert and awake.

Meanwhile.....

Mr B is driving a 10 year old car with drum brakes past a school at 3.30pm at 25mph. There are kids everywhere. It's a filthy, wet dusk and visibility is awful. There are cars parked either side of the road. It's a 30 limit but should be a 20, the school has been campagning for some time. Any sensible driver would slow to 15-20 mph. He has just finished a 12 hour shift and was out on the beer last night.

How's that?

Thats what I thought when I read your posts. No wonder you call yourself a daft lad. :loopy:

Like I said before if you want to see how an advanced driver drives I will quite happily show you. As you obviously have not passed an advanced test i suggest you shut the fxxk up because you dont know what you are talking about. If you were a more qualified driver than myself I would pay more attention to what you say. As an advanced driver i am tested every 5 years.

Over to you dxxkhead

With pleasure.

Mr A, an advanced driver, is driving a brand-new car with ABS and traction control along a deserted stretch of motorway at 120 mph. It's broad daylight and he can see ahead for 1.5 miles. There aren't any vehicles in sight. The road is in good condition and he is alert and awake.

Meanwhile.....

Mr B is driving a 10 year old car with drum brakes past a school at 3.30pm at 25mph. There are kids everywhere. It's a filthy, wet dusk and visibility is awful. There are cars parked either side of the road. It should be a 20 limit, the school has been campagning for some time. Any sensible driver would slow to 15-20 mph. He has just finished a 12 hour shift and was out on the beer last night.

How's that?

1.5 miles seems a very long distance to be able to see properly. So if some vehicle coming the other way crashes through the central barrier - heading straight at you - would you stand more chance of avoiding it at 70mph or 120mph?

Mr B should drive more slowly/safely before he gets done.

So what exactly is your point?

Come on Anus you are slow with a reply-and another thing, I passed my test in 1981 and have 0 points on my licence.

Iwill also say another thing, can you imagine the queue of traffic in this country if everyone drove to the speed limit.

Also have you never broken the speed limit limit-because i find it hard to believe it if you have not, or maybe you dont have a car at all, just slagging off those that do

1.5 miles seems a very long distance to be able to see properly. So if some vehicle coming the other way crashes through the central barrier - heading straight at you - would you stand more chance of avoiding it at 70mph or 120mph?

Mr B should drive more slowly/safely before he gets done.

So what exactly is your point?

Well then we'll compromise and call it a mile (hardly out of the ordinary)

There is nothing coming the other way

My point is that Mr A's situation is far less likely to cause a death or serious injury

Yet legally one is well within the law, the other is well beyond it. Which goes to show that in the case of speeding, adherence to the law is often an unreliable barometer of safety

And anyway, Xranus, even removing the element of hypothetical this and thats, where I live there are several roads which are 30 limits, that I believe should be 20s.

Now doing even 25 in these during the day, is simply far more dangerous than doing 85 on the motorway in all but poor conditions. Yes a car could crash through the central reservation, but let's be honest, it's unlikely. It's far less unlikely than a kid running out to get his ball in the first scenario

With pleasure.

Then his back tyre blows and he loses control because he's no experience of handing a faulty car at that speed......

What's the stopping distance at 120mph as opposed to 70mph?

Like I said before if you want to see how an advanced driver drives I will quite happily show you. As you obviously have not passed an advanced test i suggest you shut the fxxk up because you dont know what you are talking about. If you were a more qualified driver than myself I would pay more attention to what you say. As an advanced driver i am tested every 5 years.

Over to you dxxkhead

Tut! Tut! Daft lad. Never swear on a forum - you could get banned.

Unfortunately it is a fact that when people are losing an argument they start swearing at the opposition. Perhaps they think that they are scoring points - which obviously they are not - it just shows a lack of intelligence.

Bit daft really.:)

Regarding you being tested every 5 years Daft Lad - I think that you should start taking an annual test instead because you obviously aren't learning much at present.

Then his back tyre blows and he loses control because he's no experience of handing a faulty car at that speed......

What's the stopping distance at 120mph as opposed to 70mph?

On a front-wheel-drive car? You sure he'd lose control?

Stopping distances were devised many years ago, have you experienced how quickly a new car stops?

And anyway, even if he did lose control, he's only risked his own life

And finally, even taking that into account, it's less likely to cause an accident of any magnitude than MR B, which was my whole point

Archived