Speedwatch

Xranus, here's another situation that I witnessed first hand (and, believe me, I have seen too much bad, dangerous driving in the last fifteen years to scare me every time I take to the road).

Many years ago I was suddenly caught in a traffic jam on the Northbound M1. The inside lanes were running freely and I thought 'hello, there's been a shunt' I managed to lean out of the car window (whilst stationary) and saw a little old man in a Morris 1100 do a U-turn from the northbound fast lane to the southbound fast lane (where there is a break in the barriers to allow emergency vehicles to switch lanes). He pulled away, slowly, pulled in to the middle lane (doing about 25 or 30 mph) causing a National Express coach to slam on it's breaks (speed limited vehicles), puffs of smoke and burning rubbers, almost slewing across the carriageway.

Very nearly an accident with potentially many injuries and/or fatalities. The coach was 'speeding' in that is was moving in a forward direction at a velocity greater than zero mph (but within the speed limit due to the speed limiters on such vehicles). The little old man was definitely NOT speeding (which is probably why the near accident occured in the first place).

The cause (had it been an accident)?

NOT speeding. Caused by a foolish old man who couldn't drive to the next motorway exit to join the souhtbound carriageway, compounded by moving his vehicle in to the middle lane of the motorway without bothering to look.

Or, in your book, speeding.

Yep, that's nice and neat.

Xranus - Can you give us some information as to your motoring history. Do you drive? How long have you been driving? What do you drive etc.You have made some pretty off the wall comments about speed and speeding. I am genuinely interested in how you come to your conclusions and attitudes and what qualifies you to present yourself in such an authorititive manner.

I'm not prepared to give out too much information on here but lets just say that my qualifications, experience and professional career are more than enough to justify any comments that I make about road safety. In other words I know what I am talking about, whilst others on here do not and have very little interest in road safety as it interferes with their pathetic lust for speed.

Unfortunately, until they get disqualified and banned off our roads, which hopefully they will be if they keep on speeding, these people are risking their and, more importantly, other peoples lives by their ignorance and lack of road/common sense.

These 'speedophiles' are beyond any education in road safety, are a law unto themselves, have little regard for the highway code and are nothing but a menace to our society.

I'm not prepared to give out too much information on here but lets just say that my qualifications, experience and professional career are more than enough to justify any comments that I make about road safety. In other words I know what I am talking about, whilst others on here do not and have very little interest in road safety as it interferes with their pathetic lust for speed.

Unfortunately, until they get disqualified and banned off our roads, which hopefully they will be if they keep on speeding, these people are risking their and, more importantly, other peoples lives by their ignorance and lack of road/common sense.

These 'speedophiles' are beyond any education in road safety, are a law unto themselves, have little regard for the highway code and are nothing but a menace to our society.

Define, in clear and concise terms what you regard as a 'speedophile'.

If you travel at 60mph in a 30mph area you're obviously covering a set distance in half the time. Therefore you're halving the chances of having an accident ! Could this be why travelling by plane (600 mph) is far safer than travelling by car ? :P

If you set off from point "A" travelling at 30mph in a 30mph zone and someone steps out directly in front of you you're going to hit them. If you set off at the same time from point "A" doing 45mph instead, you would have driven past the errant pedestrian before he stepped out ! Pretty straightforward logic really ! :thumbsup:

If you're a woman in a private reg. four wheel drive with blacked out windows and you're on the mobi chatting about the pros and cons of botox to your girlfriend whilst eating an apple doing 30mph in a 30mph zone, are you safer than someone doing 45mph and paying attention to what they are doing ? Hmmm.... :|

A 'speedophile' is driver who speeds to satisfy his own lust for speeding, regardless of road safety, road restriction signs, the law, other drivers and other road users. He thinks that he is a good driver (which he obviously isn't or he wouldn't be speeding in the first place), thinks that he is a better driver than anyone else and so in his warped mind thinks he is entitled to drive faster than them and thinks that road accidents only happen to other people! He is also the first one to start crying and blaming everyone and everything else to anyone who will listen when he gets caught by a speed camera or by the police for speeding

If you set off from point "A" travelling at 30mph in a 30mph zone and someone steps out directly in front of you you're going to hit them. If you set off at the same time from point "A" doing 45mph instead, you would have driven past the errant pedestrian before he stepped out ! Pretty straightforward logic really ! :thumbsup:

:hihi::hihi: Very funny, its nice to see a bit of humor on these threads. Unfortunately this is the kind of logical progression that leads to some of the crazier statements on this thread.

Archived