Eco-shower phone call

Has anyone else had a phonecall telling them they will be getting a free 'eco-shower' in the post this week?

The man on the phone tonight informed me that the government were sending them to every household in England. The device apparently attaches to the shower head and reduces water flow. The man claimed this would reduce my carbon footprint (in a very bored voice clearly reading from a script).

I pointed out that I had a shower attached to my taps and if I needed to reduce water flow I would simply turn down the taps. So I told him I did not need one. He said too bad as I was getting one anyway! The government said so! I asked how I could return it. He suggested I give it to a friend with more than one shower or else BIN it !!!!

Now how exactly is this environmentally friendly?

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same call on Sunday afternoon. It was the same number that had called several times previously. When I asked why it was being sent a grumpy person said "Government initiative" and I then asked, "It's absolutely free, then?" "Yes" was the reply and the phone went dead. TODAY I'VE RECEIVED MAIL FROM READER'S DIGEST SAYING I SHOULD NOT IGNORE AN IMPORTANT ORANGE ENVELOPE MEANING I COULD WIN £250,000. A COINCIDENCE OR WHAT? (Yes, I'm cynical!)

Reserve yours now:

http://www.shower-smart.co.uk/index.php

"eaga in conjunction with the government, are offering every household in Great Britain a free eaga ShowerSmart unit.

The eaga ShowerSmart fits easily to your existing shower unit and ensures a constant flow of 7.7 litres per minute, giving a full even jet and reducing fluctuation in the speed of the water flow.

Save Money

As soon as you install your eaga ShowerSmart, it will start saving you money and water for a guaranteed 15 years. The average UK family is likely to save up to a substantial £900* over the product's lifetime.

Help the environment

Fitting the eaga ShowerSmart enables the average family to save more than 12,000 litres of water every year* and cut carbon emissions by 1 tonne of CO2.

Easy to install

Once your free pack arrives, it takes seconds to install, without the need for a plumber. Simply undo your existing shower hose at the tap end, screw in your eaga ShowerSmart, with the provided washers on either end, finger tight, then screw the shower hose onto it. Click here for installation diagrams.

The eaga ShowerSmart is suitable for use with non-electric mixer showers or bath/shower mixer taps, provided they run off the mains water pressure."

Archived