Peter Robinson Store?

There was a "Biba" shop, back in the 1970's, on High street, inside a store called Van Allen.

Van Allen was on the block that Boots expanded into, around where Maccy D's and Klick photostore are now.

I loved their clothes and make up. Very "hippy" and "Bohemian"! :D

Ladystar, yes it was a wonderful place to shop back then - much more choice.

Denise ran the Biba consession there was also a shoe consession called Tobias Tina ran that.

Denise works at the perfume place in Crystal Peaks now.

• 2 months later...
There was a "Biba" shop, back in the 1970's, on High street, inside a store called Van Allen.

Van Allen was on the block that Boots expanded into, around where Maccy D's and Klick photostore are now.

I loved their clothes and make up. Very "hippy" and "Bohemian"! :D

Ladystar, yes it was a wonderful place to shop back then - much more choice.

Don't forget Tramps on King Street PT ..... very psychedelic ....loved that place !!

• 2 years later...

I worked at Peter Robinson, in the early 1970's. It was a fantastic place to work, great people, great clothes, great social life, I have very happy memories of working there. The very first Top Shop was situated on the third floor next to the café, before the store closed and then Top Shop moved to the basement of Burton's on Dixon Lane.

Peter Robinson was a fantastic shop; the clothes were really up to the minute.

As well as many other things, I bought a bright orange woollen tailored trouser suit with a long jacket and flared bottoms. In 1970 I also bought from there the dress and shoes I got married in - deep purple empire-line midi in a delicate damask type of fabric with long sleeves and a narrow frill round hem, neck and cuffs (my mother said "it looks like a coffin drape"). I wore it with very pale pink tights and purple platform shoes and had a lovely corsage of pink rosebuds to complete the outfit.

Another shop which sold high-end clothing was Robert Brothers down the Moor. I couldn't ever afford to pay full price, but shopped in the sales for Mary Quant, Oscar de la Renta etc.

As well as many other things, I bought a bright orange woollen tailored trouser suit with a long jacket and flared bottoms. In 1970 I also bought from there the dress and shoes I got married in - deep purple empire-line midi in a delicate damask type of fabric with long sleeves and a narrow frill round hem, neck and cuffs (my mother said "it looks like a coffin drape"). I wore it with very pale pink tights and purple platform shoes and had a lovely corsage of pink rosebuds to complete the outfit.

Another shop which sold high-end clothing was Robert Brothers down the Moor. I couldn't ever afford to pay full price, but shopped in the sales for Mary Quant, Oscar de la Renta etc.

Yes I also remember Robert Brother's, in fact my Aunty worked there for many years, on the make-up counter. Always bought my Lancôme make-up there and the clothes were real quality with many top designers. But those were the days when Sheffield city centre was a vibrant place to be and people dressed to impress, unlike these days.

Wow Susie that description of you outfit really takes me back to the lazy, hazy days of the late '60s / early '70s. I can almost picture you on your wedding day and it reminds me of some of the clothes which my wife bought in that era. If any colour epitomizes the '70s it was orange, wasn't it. Styles and colours then were so vibrant. Ah, memories!

echo.

Edited by echo beach