Grinding noise coming from brakes on car

Where would be the best place to get it fixed in SW Sheffield?

Give Smith's Auto Services off London Road a try - 221 6600. I had my flywheel and clutch replaced by them after somebody on here recommended them to me, and it cost me a lot less than the other quotes I'd had (£495, next cheapest quote had been £750). Took it back to them with a brake fluid leak yesterday, and he fixed it for nothing.

The brake pads have worn out.

You need to get this fixed a.s.a.p. The noise you can hear is metal on metal grinding the brake disc away.

There is a danger of the pad coming out of the housing which will result in the piston coming out of the calliper, resulting in NO BRAKESat all.

This is what happened. Waiting for new callipers now, and a hefty bill.... I hate cars.

• 1 year later...
my car mkes a grinding noise in the NS front wheel, when i have no foot on the brake and am slowing down gradually by the car running. It doesnt do this when im accelerating. any ideas?

I had the same symptom on a VW polo but the noise was coming from the gearbox, one bearing (there was two but only one was Kaput) had worn, they actually told me at Gilders what it involved to replace and i did the job myself, the only problem was that when i got the bearings, I didn't get any shims and refitting the cover plate was tight, this made third and fourth gear very tight to engage :(

It didn't matter though as shortly after a numpty that was half asleep ran in to the back of me at high speed and wrote the car off:rant::rant:

John..

Our old car is making a grinding noise when I brake. It's clearly the nearside front wheel making it. When you release the brakes and drive, the same wheel makes a slightly rumbling hiss. It still seems to brake effectively though.

Three questions:

What do you think might be wrong with it?

How much do you think this is this going to cost to fix?

Where would be the best place to get it fixed in SW Sheffield?

All your help greatly appreciated.

If you are lucky it might just be a bit of gravel jammed in around the brake caliper. They can often become dislodged by driving backwards for a few yards.

It is however more likely to be your pads worn out. TM Services by Millhouses Station Yard are very good and reasonable. Not to be confused with TM Automotive who seem to be next door.

my car mkes a grinding noise in the NS front wheel, when i have no foot on the brake and am slowing down gradually by the car running. It doesnt do this when im accelerating. any ideas?

Could be the NS drive shaft bearing. Other symptoms of this is the noise worsening/lessening when cornering (detectable when road surface is low noise) or turning car on full lock, usually a clicking noise.

If you are lucky it might just be a bit of gravel jammed in around the brake caliper. They can often become dislodged by driving backwards for a few yards.

It is however more likely to be your pads worn out. TM Services by Millhouses Station Yard are very good and reasonable. Not to be confused with TM Automotive who seem to be next door.

The OP was posted 18 months ago, presume he's had it fixed by now or I expect he will be needing rather more than new pads!

Archived