Grinding noise coming from brakes on car

i tightend the centre nut, then the wheel. i guess the last tyre change wasnt done right. im checkin all wheels today

From what I've seen the discs are normally a separate unit bolted to the hub, and the "centre nut" as you say is usually the hub nut and this is always locked with a split pin.

Are you talking about a front or rear brake disc?

If it's fronts, then it depends if the disc is secured to the hub with one or two small screws, the only purpose these screws serve is to hold the disc/bolt holes aligned while you put the wheel on. Once the wheel is on, it clamps the disc tight against the hub.

With the wheel off, if there are no screws, the disc will usually be loose. With screws in, there shouldn't be any movement. The centre nut holds your hub/bearing assembly together. It depends on the type of bearing as to whether there should be any play (movement) in the hub. If it's a tapered roller bearing, they usually have slight play to allow for expansion of the bearing when hot. This type of bearing shouldn't be tightened or it will damage the bearing.

If it is rear discs, then it can be the same as above or on some vehicles the discs actually contain the bearing. In this case there should not be any movement of the disc.

If you are in doubt we can always have a quick look for free to set your mind at ease.

http://www.G-Tech.yolasite.com

Archived