Electric Meter Location Regs

Does anyone reliably know if there are any regulations as to where an electricity meter can be located in a home?

I ask because they have said they are coming to replace my very old one and I’m wondering if they are obligated to move it at the same time, free of charge, if it isn’t within a ‘safe area’. Currently located about 35cm off my kitchen floor and within about 1m from the sink, the sink being in the same location it was when the house was built 50 years ago.

Being given the run around by all the companies involved with billing, supply, meter fitting etc. ‘not our problem , it’s their problem!’ - Apparently MeterPlus doesn’t know if there are any regs regarding meter location, other than if it’s too high to read safely. Reassuring to know the company responsible for installing meters are unaware of any possible laws/regs governing their work. :confused:

Apparently MeterPlus doesn’t know if there are any regs regarding meter location, other than if it’s too high to read safely. Reassuring to know the company responsible for installing meters are unaware of any possible laws/regs governing their work. :confused:

I'd take that as good evidence that there are none. I've never heard of any but then I've never had any reason to listen out for them.

I'd take that as good evidence that there are none. I've never heard of any but then I've never had any reason to listen out for them.

Possibly, but I find it hard to accept that these days with health and safety rules everywhere that you can have an unfused, live, permanent, electrical device in such a dangerous location. You wouldn’t be able to fit a plug socket or light there and they would have a fuse, switch etc.

Does anyone reliably know if there are any regulations as to where an electricity meter can be located in a home?

I ask because they have said they are coming to replace my very old one and I’m wondering if they are obligated to move it at the same time, free of charge, if it isn’t within a ‘safe area’. Currently located about 35cm off my kitchen floor and within about 1m from the sink, the sink being in the same location it was when the house was built 50 years ago.

Being given the run around by all the companies involved with billing, supply, meter fitting etc. ‘not our problem , it’s their problem!’ - Apparently MeterPlus doesn’t know if there are any regs regarding meter location, other than if it’s too high to read safely. Reassuring to know the company responsible for installing meters are unaware of any possible laws/regs governing their work. :confused:

Where is your consumer unit/fuse box is it at the side of the meter and is your meter in a cupboard. Is it possable that you can reach the fuse box with wet hands one hand on the sink and one hand to toutch the fuse box/consumer unit.

Only regs im aware off is in relation to proximity of gas meter.

Its not normally an issue as its basically the responsibility of your supplier endof.

If they are not happy with it then they will move it.

Normally we set the outside boxes in the wall now and the supplier comes and moves their meters (gas & electric) into them.

On doing this though be aware there are limits to the length of tails (cables from meter to your consumer unit.

You are responsible for everything AFTER the meter unless you have a supplier fitted isolator in which case your lucky and your responsibility starts after this.

There are instructions regarding the siting of these boxes and they save anyone bugging you about reading meters etc

There is normally a charge to relocate these.

Archived