Any Detroit out there?

UR78

Anyway - no one has really answered my question - why has there never (well not in last ten years) been a big (not acid) techno scene in Sheffield?
Because in the last 10 years trance then house and then electro were enormously popular so there hasn't been a demand and therefore no supply

Anyway - no one has really answered my question - why has there never (well not in last ten years) been a big (not acid) techno scene in Sheffield?

My guess is the expense. You could book Dave The Drummer and all three Liberator's for half what it would cost to book just one of Frequency 7, Dave Clarke, Richie Hawtin etc... Never mind Jeff Mills or Carl Cox.

Also, at the moment it's the dub, dn'b and bassline that seems to be what people want here.

Remedy may not have been a pure techno night, but I def used to hear a lot of Chicago and Detroit in there (and see ****loads of punters enjoying)...

Tho I suppose that's been gone 5 years...

Remedy may not have been a pure techno night, but I def used to hear a lot of Chicago and Detroit in there (and see ****loads of punters enjoying)...

Tho I suppose that's been gone 5 years...

Ah Remedy...I remember that, quality night :thumbsup:

I know what you're saying - i love techno, Detroit, Acid and anything banging really and Sheffield is running dry of techno nights now that Sulphate's venue has been shut down.

I used to help put Room 303 on at the Harley and recently got Dave the Drummer which was a great night - and proof that techno is not dead.

Now I am doing my own techno night on the 11th at the Redhouse, which is looking likely to be lots of acid techno mainly, but I am looking to get some detroit DJ's in there too. One of my mates who plays Detroit techno was meant to be playing but can't make it, but next time he'll be on the line up for sure!

If you fancy coming to check it out here's the fb link:

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=114985221712&ref=ts

If anyone wants to play at future nights then email me here

letthebombfall@hotmail.com

Other than that, it would be great to see some techno fans at the Red house next Saturday - its the first Subsonix and there are some stella DJs playing!

I know and its a massive shame, there are hardly any venues of that size that in Sheffield where people can put nights on. The Harley and Redhouse are both really great small venues, but if you did want to book someone big like Dave Clarke, you're looking at needing a venue the size of plug just to break even.

It's just a pity because there are so many people wanting to put nights on and there's getting close to nowhere to do it!

:(

Archived