George Mooney - Thug in a hat

Georges younger brother used to live near my mother on Old Street, next to St Johns Church in Park District.

When the Park Brigade (rival gang to the Mooney Gang) started believe he had to quickly "relocate" out of the area.

My Father's Great Uncles was I believe in the Mooney Gang in Sheffield. Unfortunately my grandmother died earlier this year. She was from Sheffield, originally from Manor Park Council Estate where it all used to happen. My Great Grans name was Minnie Ward. I would really appreciate it if anyone could help with any information. I can get more names off other family members if needed, please help. Stricky x

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

When I was a lad it was rumoured that George Mooney was involved in a murder on Twelve-o-clock Street. Story has it that immediately the murder had been committed he jumped on a tram and got off two stops later along The Wicker. He then hit a policeman and was arrested and charged with assault. The time of the offence was logged, and it tended to prove that he had not been in Twelve-o-clock Street at the time of the murder. The tram ride took less than a minute. Percy Sillittoe was chief constable at the time. He cleared out the Sheffield gangs by fighting force with greater force, and later became head of MI5.

• 2 years later...

I haven't seen Albert for years but swallowing a roullette ball sounds a lot like him from what I remember. Stuff just happened to him. I remember he once told me that after a night out, his wife locked him out. He walked around a bit and noticed that the bathroom window was open slightly so he went up the drainpipe. He got his fingers in the open window, but his wife had sussed the move and shut the window on his fingers.

He lost his footing and fell backwards. He was saved though by the washing line, on which he bounced, landing on his feet. I never forgot that story.

Archived