Sheffield - Strange Nacreous Clouds - February 1996

Nice photos, hillsbro - well done! I remember seeing the clouds but by the time I got home and found my camera they had faded away.

Hi

Yes I do remember the nacreous clouds. I was travelling home on the bus to Worksop when they started to appear. It was beautiful and a bit scary. Everyone, including the bus driver was craning their necks to look up at them. I do have a photograph somewhere - I bought it from an Art shop which used to be at the bottom of Cambridge Street. It didn't do the clouds justice but I bought it because it was a piece of history that I could share with my kids who didn't get to see the clouds.

Hi

Yes I do remember the nacreous clouds. I was travelling home on the bus to Worksop when they started to appear. It was beautiful and a bit scary. Everyone, including the bus driver was craning their necks to look up at them. I do have a photograph somewhere - I bought it from an Art shop which used to be at the bottom of Cambridge Street. It didn't do the clouds justice but I bought it because it was a piece of history that I could share with my kids who didn't get to see the clouds.

I'm sure I've seen some postcards of this recently for sale. Could have been in either WH Smiths, the card shop on Fargate or GT News on The Moor.

Bought one on Saturday from Sheffield Scene on Surrey St.

I've found the postcard that I mentioned in post #6. It's the same as the Hedgerow online image without the Hedgerow name: http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/twigmore/Nacreous4.jpg

Wow - that's more like I remember. The picture I bought was just a copy of a photograph that someone had taken from their back garden and there were huge lleylandii in the way. I also seem to remember a strange sky a little while after the nacreous event - with huge black clouds forming in long ridges and furrows but it may just be my imagination.

Archived