What's this on Neepsend Lane?

Whilst taking photos around Sheffield over the past few weeks, I took the photo below on Neepsend Lane but what is it/was it?

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq357/syt2007/PICT0262.jpg

I had the river behind me and took the photo through the tall spiked fencing gates. Seems a very big piece of land but really overgrown and whoever it belongs to obviously has it well secured. There are no signs or indication around the outside perimeter of who owns it and what it is or was.

Can anyone help me on this please?

Many thanks.

P.S If you turn around at this point on Neepsend Lane with the river now in front of you, there is possibly the last remaining evidence of SYT in Sheffield.

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq357/syt2007/PICT0263.jpg

Ah good point about the piping being gas related. Unless I missed them though when I was there I can't recall seeing any safety signs relating to gas. Sort of like the ones you get outside electric substations.:confused:

That's a gas pipeline isn't it, and the land is next to the skip place.

No idea who it belongs too though, I've remarked that it would make a good paintball or go karting venue before.

It used to be where the gasometer storage tanks were.

Would imagine the land belongs to the Gas National Grid.

There is already a go kart track up the road at the side of the pub

by the bridge.at the Penistone Rd end of Neepsend Lane.Or there was the

last time I went up there.

There is a go kart track yes, parkwood?

I suppose it would be transco, I think that's who owns the old british gas infrastructure now.

It could be made into urban paintball though, that would be cool and fit in with the area (skate park, ski village etc).

Today I have re-visited this mysterious location and have now got the answer.

By walking a good bit up Parkwood Road (which I didnt do last time!) you get to some big gates and you can just make out the initials E M G B. Assuming these to stand for East Midlands Gas Board?

Further up Parkwood Road, there is another entrance with a big sign saying something like 'Transco site for Regeneration' and a few partnership details. Danger keep out is displayed and there is the emergency hotline number.

If it is a site for regeneration, then how long has it been in the decaying state that it is?

By walking a long way up Parkwood Road I got to some steps leading upto a bridge.

Am I right in thinking that these are the original steps to the bridge over the railway (the bridge looks newer than the first lot of steps)? Is this the location of the old Neepsend Station?

P.S Ive got pictures of these bits but not uploaded them yet.

Today I have re-visited this mysterious location and have now got the answer.

By walking a good bit up Parkwood Road (which I didnt do last time!) you get to some big gates and you can just make out the initials E M G B. Assuming these to stand for East Midlands Gas Board?

Further up Parkwood Road, there is another entrance with a big sign saying something like 'Transco site for Regeneration' and a few partnership details. Danger keep out is displayed and there is the emergency hotline number.

If it is a site for regeneration, then how long has it been in the decaying state that it is?

By walking a long way up Parkwood Road I got to some steps leading upto a bridge

Am I right in thinking that these are the original steps to the bridge over the railway (the bridge looks newer than the first lot of steps)? Is this the location of the old Neepsend Station?

P.S Ive got pictures of these bits but not uploaded them yet.

The steps are the original ones up to Neepsend Station, the bridge has been updated but used to have steps running down each end to the station platforms, and a slip road leading back down onto Parkwood Road.

I think Transco still use the site, I don't suppose it can be developed as the gas pipe lines are still used.

About 3 months ago there were portacabins on the site which were there for quite some time

At the top end of the site near to where Neepsend Station was, were some old tunnel entrances (which appeared to go under the bank toward the station area), i would imagine these have been filled in now.

But inside these openned into a larger underground brick arches supported by cast iron columns. On the floor were narrow rail tracks, which ran off under the station (but this was further blocked off by more recent brickwork). I know years ago coke was probably converted to town gas on this site (with the coke brought by rail (hence the giant hoppers near to the kart track, on the opposite side).

Does anyone know if this mystrious tunnel linked with the Neepsend Power Station or anwhere else under Parkwood Rd in that direction.

Archived