Bull fighting in Spain

The trouble with bull fighting is it's always in the matalan's favour. Take for instance this
, as soon as the bull starts to win, the matalan's mates get involved. That's never fair.

I never realised matalan were involved. Have they used my pound to sponsor this cruelty?

The trouble with bull fighting is it's always in the matalan's favour. Take for instance this
, as soon as the bull starts to win, the matalan's mates get involved. That's never fair.

I think you meant to say the matador (Matalan is a clothing shop!). The matador's 'mates' are his support team who pass him his cape/sword etc. They are each known as a 'banderillo' (literally 'a person who holds the banderillas'). A banderilla is the colourful spear that is placed into a bull's shoulders to alter its inclinations to steer right/left, and to lower its head ready for the 'estocada' (the thrust of the sword) at the end.

It's a complete win win for the matador, yet the crowd seems to treat them like some kind of rock legend :loopy:.

Bullfighting is pretty much almost as popular as football in Spain. Good bullfighters such as 'El Fandi' are as popular as Beckham is over here. Their love-life etc is often in the Spanish equivalent of 'Heat'. Also, the cheers are for the STYLE of the passing of the cape, the technique of the banderilla-placing and much more.

If a matador takes too long, or fails to kill the bull 'cleanly' (ie in one sword thrust to the heart), then he is seen as a failure and is not cheered for.

I've travelled widely in Spain over the last ten years and have never had the remotest desire to see a bullfight.In my opinion the vast majority of Spaniards,particularly the younger generation view it as something for the amusement of their uncouth fellow citizens,hot-blooded southerners and daft tourists.I think this view is severely undermining a key argument held by the bull fighting lobby:that the bullfight is quintessential to Spanishness.

It's a complete win win for the matador, yet the crowd seems to treat them like some kind of rock legend :loopy:

It wouldn't be so bad if the bull got a fighting chance.

You mean that rock legends are treated like some kind of matador, of course. Bull fighting pre-dates rock music by some way.

You mean that rock legends are treated like some kind of matador, of course. Bull fighting pre-dates rock music by some way.

I wonder why no-one's thougth of combining the two? Imagine the delight of the crowd on seeing Mick Hucknall suddenly being gored to death by a bull halfway through singing "Holding Back The Years"!

Archived