History tours around Sheffield

I have heard there are tours around the graveyards at Sharrowvale old Cemetry and somehow seem to miss them. Any idea how i can find out when there is another one ?

Also - what local history groups are there that cover a broad high level of history for the city. I now live in Rotherham, but would love to go on any tours or listen to stories.

I went on one of those Mr & Mrs Dreadful walks a few months back - these are ghost walks mixed with a bit of history - unfortunately only two of the points they told us are backed by any evidence, so looks like much of what they told us had been invented by a very creative mind :S

The two points that seem to be correct were that the herbal store near the Lyceum was once used as a morgue for bodies the medical students were about to study, and that corpses from Sheffield cathedral were disturbed when they dug the tram tracks out (obvious, when you think about it?)... They told a strange tale re a building on York St once being the home of a solicitor who was murdered by sheffield gang members in the 1800's - I couldn't unearth anything about this anywhere, apart from the story that they themselves had published :suspect: They also told a tale re the Mazda buildings on Campo Lane - I knew that those stories were just that straight away however, as I had worked long hours in that building for many years once upon a time... I did give them the benefit of the doubt, and did a bit of my own research, but that only unearthed their tale...

Archived