Eaton & BOOTH

Hi Steve

I thoroughly enjoyed meeting you the other night and it was very nice to talk over the past and thanks for filling so many gaps in my memory about the final days at E & B.

I hope that the info. I gave you has helped and whenever it suits you, give me a ring and I will look forward to meeting you again.

Kind regards

Tony

• 2 months later...

Dear Pop

I only came onto the Sheffield Forum site yesterday and I have been having a look to see if I can find any information on the firm of Swift Brothers Rolling Mills as my Great Grandfather, William Swift, was one of the founders of this business and my Grandfather and his brother were Managers in the firm until their retirement in 1922. The earliest partnership agreement I have between the brothers is dated 1870. Lil says that the firm moved from Loxley to Hillsborough but in fact, Swift Brothers operated three establishments at Hillsborough (Owlerton Bridge), Loxley and the Olive Rolling Mill. As far as I know, J H Trickett of Eaton & Booth purchased Swift Brothers a few years after my Grandfather left and this included the Hillsborough and Loxley sites - the Olive Rolling Mill had closed some years previously. I will check the exact date in my Grandfather's notebook if you are interested. This book lists interesting and amusing incidents and developments over the period 1890 to 1920.

Best wishes

John

• 8 months later...

My names mike webster I worked in the fitting shop during the college holidays,I remember harry webster ,bernard badger,keith wilcox.steve barley,dave buck,mick burgoyne,fred hoole ,chris hoole,david trickett,terry smedley big george etc etc.

My dad was an engineer there,thats why I got the job

Happy days

Hi Steve,

Are you still spraying cars and messing around with engines,its good to hear from you.Do you ever hear from any of the other fitters like,Keith Wilcox,Bernard Badger,Harry Webster,Dennis Bernand,Dave Buck etc etc

I have lived in Swindon for 23 years now,how time flys eh !

Hope you are OK and that lifes treated you well,who the hell is Lagerlil ?

Regards

Mike

P.S. Wednesday have just lost 4.2

Archived