Do you have any memories/photos of The Limit club on West Street??

Emma G

Sheffield-based journalist and Dirty Stop Out’s Guide creator, Neil Anderson is set to pay tribute to legendary night club, The Limit, in his forthcoming book, 'Take It To The Limit.'

Neil and his team are looking to collect memories and/or photos from Limit fans.

One fan said, 'we were a bunch of skint goths with just about enough bish to get to The Limit and back, but some fags and have a few ales; anything else was a bonus.'

Do you have similar anecdotes?

More importantly, do you have any photos? Whether it's of you dressed in all your 80's punk rock gear or of the Limit Club itself, we would love to see them!

Please contact emma@takeittothelimit.info

All those who submit memories or photos that are published in the book will receive free entry to the book's launch night in October.

I shared a house with a goth in my 1st year at Sheff Poly 1986/87 and she took me in there a few times. She had to lend me a black t shirt the first time, apparently my sky blue Fred Perry wasn't suitable!

I was pretty drunk when I got there but remember waiting in the queue and thinking what the hell was I doing here! Then paying, climbing down the steps now thinking 'Oh my God!', within 5 feet of I was asked if I wanted "anythng"?, l'ike what'? I said naively, there seemed to be a fight every few minutes which lasted seconds, can't remember what music was played but I danced to all of it . . . . . oh, and I got off with the Goth housemate!

A pretty typical Student night I think.

I have loads of photos but am unable to scan anything into my pc due to being missold a printer last week by a lovely young man at Staples who I will happily brain with my shoe if I ever see him again...

so...photos and memories available but not if it involves email.

My band, Double Life played there the second day it was open and did quite a few gigs there in the late 70s. Tuesday 12th September 1978. Also on the bill that night were Anniversary, Molodoy and The Deaf Aids.

The bands on Monday 11th Sept. 1978 were Human League, Graph, Def Leppard and The Monitors. George Webster, the owner gave us all lifetime membership cards and we used to go down there quite a lot socially for the watery beer and drunk student girls. It was a bit of a hole to be fair.

Top place The Limit. Both me and my OH spent many a happy night down there (didn't know each other then) which has made for many drunken conversations of our memories.

I was told first time went down there whatever happend when I was slam dancing not to fall over on the dance floor as it was covered with years worth of spilt ale and God knows what else that it resembled black tar and I was quite likely to get stuck and not be able to get up. Following that sound advice I made sure if there was any falling over to be done I did it off the dance floor :thumbsup:

I remember going to see the Macc Lads there which was a laugh n a half, I seem to remember a website somewher that had plenty of photos of The Limit and Rebels on it.

Archived