Do you have any memories/photos of The Limit club on West Street??

Emma G

Not yer normal Limit band, but I saw Marillion there in '83. Fish's head was about 3inches from the ceiling. And as for packed, I spent most of the gig with my head on the stage side of the monitors. Nothing too strange there, but my feet were in the 3rd row of the audience!

Top place The Limit. Both me and my OH spent many a happy night down there (didn't know each other then) which has made for many drunken conversations of our memories.

I was told first time went down there whatever happend when I was slam dancing not to fall over on the dance floor as it was covered with years worth of spilt ale and God knows what else that it resembled black tar and I was quite likely to get stuck and not be able to get up. Following that sound advice I made sure if there was any falling over to be done I did it off the dance floor :thumbsup:

I remember going to see the Macc Lads there which was a laugh n a half, I seem to remember a website somewher that had plenty of photos of The Limit and Rebels on it.

hee hee! i was there that night as well! My ex hubby was in the band that supported them!

Top place The Limit. Both me and my OH spent many a happy night down there (didn't know each other then) which has made for many drunken conversations of our memories.

I was told first time went down there whatever happend when I was slam dancing not to fall over on the dance floor as it was covered with years worth of spilt ale and God knows what else that it resembled black tar and I was quite likely to get stuck and not be able to get up. Following that sound advice I made sure if there was any falling over to be done I did it off the dance floor :thumbsup:

I remember going to see the Macc Lads there which was a laugh n a half, I seem to remember a website somewher that had plenty of photos of The Limit and Rebels on it.

I fell on the dance floor a few times but the most painful was when slam dancing to the Pogues. I was sent flying by this skinhead and landed on my hand. It swelled up immediately but thankfully the beer numbed the pain. It was only the next day when I went to the hospital that I realised I had broken my wrist and ended up with a 12 week pot. Happy days!

Does anybody remember the Marlborough girls who used to hand out free packets of fags?

Thank you so much for your contributions so far - some very interesting memories!

We now have a 'Take It To The Limit' Questionnaire that we hoped a few of you would take the time to complete and e-mail back to us at emma@takeittothelimit.info:

We are also keen to track down George Webster and any staff members, especially the barman who 'always wore shorts.' If you have a details about the whereabouts of those who worked at the Limit, please could you e-mail emma@takeittothelimit.info. Thank you.

The 'Take It To The Limit' Questionnaire.

1. What are your memories of The Limit?

2. What do you think made the club so special/memorable?

3. If there was one thing that made the club different from any other, what was it?

4. What kind of people went to The Limit?

5. What gigs did you see down there?

6. Many people would cite it as major springboard for up-and-coming Sheffield acts like Human League and Def Leppard - would you agree?

7. So what would a typical night at The Limit entail?

8. Where would you get your clothes/where would you go beforehand/how would you get there/ how would you get home?

Many thanks,

'The Take It To The Limit' Team.

NB. Those people whose reponses are used in the book will receive free entry to the 'Take It To The Limit' launch night.

• 6 months later...

i went a few times to the limit isaw a band going by the name of def leperd ..i thought icould do that so idid .. so became sheffield top fun band the t.s.b. band. whitch was tony...shane..bob..tony was mr joe cocker to a tee. his very young son on key boards. wewon many clubland awards. what alife.when we were local we would rush back to aclub on west street .todo the funky chicken.the club went by the name of the c.r.a.z.y. d.a.i.s.y.

Archived