Cotton wool kids.How will they cope?

this was posted a year ago, and from what i hear from some parents things have not improved.

What age do you think it is okay to allow your daughter /son to walk to school on their own?

What age do you think it is okay to allow your kid/teen to go to town on a bus by themselves?

What age do you think it is okay for them to start managing money themselves?

These are some of the subjects that when answered can determine how our children's start to adulthood progresses.

Some parents still give lifts to their children at 20 year old as they deem it unsafe to be out on their own at night in certain areas.

What do parents think about this rather controversial subject?

8, 8, 5...........

There is some research that suggests that age 8 is the right age that children have road awareness.

My son started walking to school on his own when he was 10. Again, I don't think that there are any hard and fast rules as you have to take into consideration things such as the route, the traffic, distance etc. He first got the bus back from town on his own aged 11 and bless him, he was absolutely delighted to have done so.

My daughter is 9 and wants to walk to school on her own but at the moment, I won't allow her to! Her road sense leaves a lot to be desired.

Both kids have been having pocket money since they were 5, on condition that they tidy their rooms. If they want something outside of their birthdays and Christmas, then they have to save up for it, apart from books and the occasional DVD.

My son started walking to school on his own when he was 10. Again, I don't think that there are any hard and fast rules as you have to take into consideration things such as the route, the traffic, distance etc. He first got the bus back from town on his own aged 11 and bless him, he was absolutely delighted to have done so.

My daughter is 9 and wants to walk to school on her own but at the moment, I won't allow her to! Her road sense leaves a lot to be desired.

Both kids have been having pocket money since they were 5, on condition that they tidy their rooms. If they want something outside of their birthdays and Christmas, then they have to save up for it, apart from books and the occasional DVD.

Hi suffy. Hope you are well

Just interested, do you think that generally girls are more independent than boys? I have one of each and my daughter is extremely independent( but she is 14!)

Hi suffy. Hope you are well

Just interested, do you think that generally girls are more independent than boys? I have one of each and my daughter is extremely independent( but she is 14!)

Hi - am good thanks, hope that you are too.

My daughter has a very independent streak and always has had. I think at the moment though that she is striving for more independence than I allowed her brother at her age, because she sees him having greater freedom.

On Saturday for example, my son went down to the local shops on his own and she wanted yo go with him and I refused!

I used to babysit when I was 11 (early 90s), my younger bro and next doors kids (about 4 years younger). My bro and I were alone every day in the school holidays. It was great, I learnt to cook (pancakes and mini quiches). We went on picnics and were out all day every day on our bikes having adventures, we had to phone my mum to let her know our plans and not be later than we said.

I guess I was always responsible and sensible and it really depends on the kid. The kid won't get sensible without being allowed to think for themselves.

I used to babysit when I was 11 (early 90s), my younger bro and next doors kids (about 4 years younger). My bro and I were alone every day in the school holidays. It was great, I learnt to cook (pancakes and mini quiches). We went on picnics and were out all day every day on our bikes having adventures, we had to phone my mum to let her know our plans and not be later than we said.

I guess I was always responsible and sensible and it really depends on the kid. The kid won't get sensible without being allowed to think for themselves.

That is very true. With the new generation of helicopter kids, it seems that many are reaching university totally ill equipped to deal with independence and basic decision making. I have several friends who are lecturers and hear constantly of tales of parents ringing tutors to complain about their kids' marks as these students appear not to have any life management skills.

I do think that one the keys to being a happy and functional adult is to have self confidence and that can be strengthened through independence.

Archived