Hearts of Oak, Dronfield Woodhouse

Andy C

Some pub news to pass on....

The Hearts of Oak at Dronfield Woodhouse is to reopen under new ownership on 1st July following a refurbishment. It also has a new name - the Hearty Oak.

Real Ales will feature, with a special offer of £1.50 a pint planned for the opening week. Initially 2 ales will be available, both from Abbeydale Brewery, should these sell well then more beers will be added to the range from other local breweries (the bar has 9 handpumps).

The pub will also do food, with a menu of 'Great British classics'.

Hearts of Oak has a large car park, or bus 293 stops right outside during the daytime, and bus 89 stops just round the corner in the evening (both operated by TM Travel).

• 2 weeks later...

Went in for food at tea time today, had Beef and Ale pie with chips, gravy and mushy peas. Chips and gravy nice, pie clearly had good quality ingredients (all the meat is sourced from Border View Farm shop just down the road) however it was one of those pub pies thats basically a stew in a bowl with a puff pastry lid, I don't really approve of such things... The Ale in it was Abbeydale Brimstone by the way.

Other main courses on the menu included Steak, Pork Belly, Chicken and one or two other choices that I forget, including a couple of vegetarian options.

Prices of main courses were mostly £9 (the steaks were around £12).

Didn't take much notice of starters and desserts as I wasn't hungry enough.

I believe some items on the menu are changed regularly, as it was a slightly different menu to the one I saw on the opening night on Wednesday (for example Sausage and mash had dissapeared and been replaced with something different).

Cask beer range was: Abbeydale Moonshine, Abbeydale Brimstone, Sheffield Blanco Blonde, all at £2.70 per pint.

Coffee, wine, lager etc also available of course.

Archived