Attercliffe Church

I think you will find that the church was badly damaged in the last war, the Vicarage is the local centre of the WEA

Our Local U3A history group went for a walk around that area 2 weeks ago we started at Meadowhell arriving at Atercliffe cemetery via the 5 Weirs Walk, then on to Hill Top Chapel and finally lunch at Carbrook Hall

Just a thought, was this the church at the top of Zion Lane, quite near to the one destroyed in the blitz ?

It was demolished in the last 20 odd years after being derelict for ages.

The site is still marked with a cross on my relatively new Sheffield street map

The site is fenced off and overgrown and is across Zion Lane from the car spare place [Autoparts ?].

My mum worked in Pierponts in the early 60's. I was Christened in the Church in 1958 and my cousin got married there in 1968. My gran worked in the baths across the road. Wow the memories come flooding back.

Just a thought, was this the church at the top of Zion Lane, quite near to the one destroyed in the blitz ?

It was demolished in the last 20 odd years after being derelict for ages.

The site is still marked with a cross on my relatively new Sheffield street map

The site is fenced off and overgrown and is across Zion Lane from the car spare place [Autoparts ?].

Hi,

Zion Congregational Church was on Zion Lane but nearer to town. It was where the lane did a bit of a jog and the schoolrooms, etc were further down the Lane, towards Christ Church. Right behind where Woolworths used to be.

I know the "Congs" building was only demolished in the last 20 years. Not been near the area since May of 1949. Expect a lot has changed in between.

Regards

Hi,

Zion Congregational Church was on Zion Lane but nearer to town. It was where the lane did a bit of a jog and the schoolrooms, etc were further down the Lane, towards Christ Church. Right behind where Woolworths used to be.

I know the "Congs" building was only demolished in the last 20 years. Not been near the area since May of 1949. Expect a lot has changed in between.

Regards

Hi Falls,

I think that's the one we are getting mixed up with,

Zion Congregational Church,

built 1863, demolished in 1987

picturesheffield

Hi Falls,

I think that's the one we are getting mixed up with,

Zion Congregational Church,

built 1863, demolished in 1987

picturesheffield

That's the Zion Congs I remember. It was covered in soot and grime from top to bottom. Even in the late 1940's, the congregation had dwindled to a fraction of what the building was capable of accomodating. I can't remember if they still had a Sunday School at the time. There was a small burial ground on the far side of the property, away from Zion Lane. I think someone metioned this earlier.

Sorry!! We have drifted away from the original topic about Christ Church. As far as I recall, it was damaged during the war but only partially repaired. ie, the stained glass may have been replaced with regular glass. Things like that.

Joan would have a better idea, being married there.

Regards

That's the Zion Congs I remember. It was covered in soot and grime from top to bottom. Even in the late 1940's, the congregation had dwindled to a fraction of what the building was capable of accomodating. I can't remember if they still had a Sunday School at the time. There was a small burial ground on the far side of the property, away from Zion Lane. I think someone metioned this earlier.

Sorry!! We have drifted away from the original topic about Christ Church. As far as I recall, it was damaged during the war but only partially repaired. ie, the stained glass may have been replaced with regular glass. Things like that.

Joan would have a better idea, being married there.

Regards

Thanks for that I was wondering if I was really married at all :hihi: Unfortunately I don't have my photo album any more, only few old slides that I can't even view properly now. I WILL get them out and have a look through and if there are any that show the church properly, I will pop into Boots to ask if there is any way I can get a print done. Then I could scan and send it to the OP.

Hi Ya Guys & Gals,

Thank you for the info but i am looking for - ATTERCLIFFE CHURCH

and not Christ Church, the reason for this is because my Aunty was married there and i wanted to somehow obtain a photo. The Church named in my Aunties Wedding album is ATTERCLIFFE CHURCH around 1956.

So any help locating this church would be most welcome.

Archived