Wasp/Bee Hive in my garden - help!!!

Hi

I have a hive in my privet, well hanging from the privet. Its very near the pavement and I live next to a primary school with lots of kiddies going by.

I went to the council today and they said it would be £35 to remove it. Can't really afford that tbh and was wondering what my other options are?? Is anyone on here a wasp/bee keeper or something? Could you come and remove it?

I have a huge phobia of wasps and daren't go near it. I could try and persuade my partner to put ant powder on it or summat but we don't want to kill them really.

Karl

honest? fairy liquid? any particular one? lol

I can't see an entrance to 'squirt some in', would all over be ok? lol

i visited my mate who lived in a student shared house,outside in the garden they had a bird table that looked like a small open sided house ,the nest had taken up all of the inside of the "house" he told me to lock the windows and keep the door open while he squirted the washing up liquid into the nest entrance,he squirted and ran in i shut the door and the wasps were all over the outside of the garden window in seconds,after ten minutes they left to find some where else to build a nest

he used fairy liquid but i suppose any washing up liquid would do ,take your time and you will see wasps landing and walking in to the nest it may be concealed by a stone or piece of wood but there has to be an entrance if you find it and there are kids about wait until night time to squirt it

link for you http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/miscellaneous.html

…but we don't want to kill them really.

Well if you want to drop their nest into a box then relocate them, good luck, may I recommend you watch that old Michael Caine Film called “The swarm” first. (On second thoughts, don’t bother, it was crap, plus it was about bees.)

There is some useful information on the RENTOKILL WEBSITE, The safest option is to hit the nest with some Wasp destroyer foam that can be squirted from a few metres away.

Wasps are nasty chuffs, they get more aggressive as the temperatures increase so hit ‘em before the nest gets any bigger.

Then let us know what ward you’re in & I’ll drop you some lucozade in during visiting hours. :D

• 1 year later...
Thank you for you advice!! Fortunately someone is coming to collect the hive tomoro!! :) Sanman on here. He said its honey bees. So am pleased cos they'll be no killing involved! :)

Karl

Excellent news, we need as many bees as possible seeing as their population is dramatically crashing.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

we have a wasps nest in our outhouse. the council want £50 to remove it. We live in a rented house, do you think our landlord should be responsible or should we have to sort it out? And if so, how can we do it cheaply?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Being a beekeeper myself, one thing I'll say is, get somebody who knows what they're doing to get rid of it!

Don't attempt to do it yourself, you'll most likely disturb them, which wont end well.

I love the little fellas, even have my own bee hive plans there misunderstood wonderful creatures!

Archived