Should stamps be made to have adverts on to keep prices down?

Should stamps be made to have adverts on to keep prices down?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Should stamps be made to have adverts on to keep prices down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know

That's actually a good idea.

IMO the postal service needs complete privatisation. Competition would bring prices down and end Royal Mail's monopoly. The press could regularly release figures on late deliveries and complaints, regulated by a watchdog, so consumers would also be able to assess which company was most reliable.

What an absurd idea.

The UK is the only country in the world which does not have the name of our country on its postage stamps - in recognition of the fact that it was the British who invented postage stamps.

Other than the price, our stamps only display the monarch's head, except for special issues.

So, can you imagine what the Queen would think about the Royal Mail's stamps bearing adverts next to her portrait for Kentucky Fried Chicken, Anne Summers, Labrookes, etc.?

Although I am not a monarchist, I cannot support this idea. I would bet that not a single member of the Conservative Party would support this suggestion. It would simply make the Queen look ridiculous. Believe me, I am certain that not one sensible thinking Tory would say that's actually a good idea.

Redrobbo - it's not a good idea in the context of Royal Mail today. However, with full privatisation, there would be several companies who would more than likely have their own logos and stamp designs not involving the Queen's head. If they wished to sell advertising on their stamps and offer the consumer a lower price, they should be allowed to do so.

Originally posted by t020

Redrobbo - it's not a good idea in the context of Royal Mail today. However, with full privatisation, there would be several companies who would more than likely have their own logos and stamp designs not involving the Queen's head. If they wished to sell advertising on their stamps and offer the consumer a lower price, they should be allowed to do so.

Looks like I lost my bet!

Your suggestions are the economics of the madhouse t020. You do not explain how "full privatisation" would cover the costs of delivery services, especially to remote areas, let alone to foreign destinations.

I am amazed that you are indeed quite serious in suggesting that the Queen's head be removed from our stamps in favour of company logos! Since the invention of the penny black, well over a hundred years ago now, our stamps have always portrayed the monarch's head. But you would prefer to see the KFC logo as a replacement - and all for the sake of a penny or two knocked off the price of a stamp.

Your earnest pursuit of the abolition of a piece of British heritage is truly shocking! I do hope Her Majesty isn't reading this over breakfast in the morning, she'll be choking on her cornflakes.

Originally posted by redrobbo

Looks like I lost my bet!

Your suggestions are the economics of the madhouse t020. You do not explain how "full privatisation" would cover the costs of delivery services, especially to remote areas, let alone to foreign destinations.

I am amazed that you are indeed quite serious in suggesting that the Queen's head be removed from our stamps in favour of company logos! Since the invention of the penny black, well over a hundred years ago now, our stamps have always portrayed the monarch's head. But you would prefer to see the KFC logo as a replacement - and all for the sake of a penny or two knocked off the price of a stamp.

Your earnest pursuit of the abolition of a piece of British heritage is truly shocking! I do hope Her Majesty isn't reading this over breakfast in the morning, she'll be choking on her cornflakes.

I couldnt give a dam if the Queens head is on the stamp, whats that got to do with me getting my mail. As long as I get my mail and the price is low when I want to send something I wouldnt care if Bin Ladens face was on the stamp. so I dont see what the problem is.

Top idea, adverts on stamps.

The vast majority of commemorative stamps - don't they release about ten sets a year? - are horrible.

Why not introduce adverts on those, and leave the ordinary ones with the Queen's head on alone?

If the move would keep down the price of postage - which in the days of email, fax and text is now kept alive by ebay - and maintain the profits of Royal Mail, it's got to be investigated.

Wouldn't it be great to see that Crazy Frog on the stamps rather than the Queen's profile?

Originally posted by dishwasher

Wouldn't it be great to see that Crazy Frog on the stamps rather than the Queen's profile?

Only if the Crazy Frog is first against the wall, come the revolution!

Archived