Has anyone on here read The Koran?

Originally posted by Swan_Vesta

Nice one Joe - I'll have a look in the Oxfam bookshop on West st this weekend. I've been thinking about reading it for a while but haven't got round to doing anything about it.

why don't we have a big get together and have a reading session perhaps we could do it once a month and take turns in reading....:thumbsup:

Now Kirky,

Are you taking the michael now? :)

Apologies if I get this wrong, but here goes....

It's the Word of God as revealed to Mohammed and forms the basis of the Islamic faith. It's about 1400 years old.

Islam is the third of the Abrahamic faiths, the other two being Judaism and Christianity. Followers of all three faiths are known colectively as 'Children of the Book'.

There are many similarites between the three faiths, the main differences between Islam and Christianity in religious terms being, I believe :

In Islam, Christ is respected as a Prophet, rather than as the Son of God. Mohammed is seen as the last Prophet, and the Koran as the final instructions to man from God.

In Islam, there is no resurrection.

Souls of the righteous go straight to Heaven in Islam, rather than having to wait until the 'end times' as is the case in Christianity.

There are many other differences, naturally, but I think this is the essential detail.

And apologies to anyone if I've mis-represented their faith!

Joe

i read it online kirky, cant remeber the link or owt but ya might find it if ya google.

no disrespect ment or owt like that but..... :suspect::gag: @ the rules n wot not wimmins have to follow. I THINK NOT !!!

Originally posted by JoePritchard

Souls of the righteous go straight to Heaven in Islam, rather than having to wait until the 'end times' as is the case in Christianity.

I thought (I don't actually "believe") souls went straight to heaven in Christianity too, where do they go then if it's not to Heaven (or Hell) ?

At the risk of sounding like a complete bore;

Wouldn't it be nice if a thread about the Koran had more informative posts?

I'm not religous myself but I try to show a bit of reverence towards other people's beliefs when the occassion demands it.

Before you ask, no I haven't read it nor understand it. I wish I did, and out of 25 replies so far only one has actually furthered my understanding the subject of the thread.

Deavon - I totally agree with your post. I believe people should respect each other and the different religions in this world.

I have an English version of the Koran - purchased from Waterstones I believe. I pick it up from time to time but do find it quite a difficult read. What I found easier to read was a book about Islam and it's teachings with supporting quotes from the Koran which simplified it greatly.

I'm not Muslim but like to understand how and why people of other faiths believe what they believe, and where the beliefs came from.

Originally posted by JoePritchard

In Islam, there is no resurrection.

Many thanks, Joe, for one of the few sensible posts on this subject.

However, Muslims do indeed believe in resurrection; This Day of Resurrection is mentioned extensively throughout the Koran (see Chapters 83, 84 and 101 for a quick reference) and is known by several names including the Day of Judgement and the Day of Reckoning. It is the time when God will raise up mankind and judge us on the deeds we performed in the Dunya (worldly life).

As I understand it, one is ideally supposed to read it in the Arabic. And not the modern stuff. Because, as the word of the Prophet(PBUH) accurately handed down over generations, one would not want to misunderstand the points in His teachings.

I guess if you're interested, you need arabic classes. Or talk to members of the islamic faith.

Archived