Has anyone on here read The Koran?

A couple of books that give a wider insight into Islam and the development of Muslim culture are Ruthven's 'Islam : A very short introduction' and Albert Hourani's 'A History of the Arab Peoples'.

The latter is a very good introduction to the wider history and culture of the Arab nations.

As to the destination of souls in Christianity after death, in Roman Catholicism the souls of the dead who don't go to Hell go to Purgatory, an intermediate place between this world and Heaven.

Joe

Originally posted by ferret

As I understand it, one is ideally supposed to read it in the Arabic. And not the modern stuff. Because, as the word of the Prophet(PBUH) accurately handed down over generations, one would not want to misunderstand the points in His teachings.

I guess if you're interested, you need arabic classes. Or talk to members of the islamic faith.

It would help to understand Arabic, but it is by no means a prerequisite.

As a language, Arabic is still spoken today (unlike, say, Aramaic, which Jesus spoke) so Arabic to English translations of the Koran can be very accurate.

The translations by Abdullah Yusuf Ali have been highly recommended to me.

Originally posted by ferret

As I understand it, one is ideally supposed to read it in the Arabic. And not the modern stuff. Because, as the word of the Prophet(PBUH) accurately handed down over generations, one would not want to misunderstand the points in His teachings.

I guess if you're interested, you need arabic classes. Or talk to members of the islamic faith.

Yes, that's my understanding; I guess my own interest as a Christian is to learn more about my fellow man.

However, I do believe that I've gained some insight in to and understanding of Islam from my reading of the Koran in English.

Abdul - yes, I remembered that when I returned to this thread this evening. Apologies!

I hope I didn't make TOO many mistakes!

Joe

Originally posted by Abdul

It would help to understand Arabic, but it is by no means a prerequisite.

As a language, Arabic is still spoken today (unlike, say, Aramaic, which Jesus spoke) so Arabic to English translations of the Koran can be very accurate.

The translations by Abdullah Yusuf Ali have been highly recommended to me.

I agree, with those that I have spoken to, the translation is probably the most accurate of all religeons. Apologies to those who may not agree.

The very idea that corrections can be made in mosque by worshippers as Qu'ran is being read, is to me quite something.

It would indeed lead to the most accurate thread all the way back through history.

My feeling is though, that over time, misrepresentations could occur. This in unqualified hands is potentially where the problems would occur.

I feel its vital to spread a message to all faiths in whatever format is acceptable, BUT with the attached message that the main arguments are common to Islam, Christianity and Judaism.

The details are very difficult, I believe, to bring over to a novice believer of the faith.

And I speak as a non-muslim.

Also, I have been told of 'Golden Chains' that are keepers of information, making certain that there can be no errors. Do you have any information on this?

I went down to the second hand bookshop at the weekend as planned and enquired if they had any copies of the koran but unfortunatley the had sold their only copy earlier that week.

On the upside, the very helpful chap behind the counter was a muslim and told me to go to the mosque where they'd be happy to give me a copy for free.

Originally posted by Deavon

At the risk of sounding like a complete bore;

Wouldn't it be nice if a thread about the Koran had more informative posts?

I'm not religous myself but I try to show a bit of reverence towards other people's beliefs when the occassion demands it.

Before you ask, no I haven't read it nor understand it. I wish I did, and out of 25 replies so far only one has actually furthered my understanding the subject of the thread.

I apologise for the previous posts. I was being daft as it was Friday and I found myself in a particularly silly mood.

To echo what Nick2 posted, I would never knowingly disrespect anyone's beliefs. If I have done that inadvertently, then I am sorry.

• 7 months later...

For anyone truly interested in reading the Qur'an i would recommend visiting "AL NOOR" 6 Ellesmere Road, Pitsmoor, Sheffield, South Yorkshire,

The guy that runs it is called Mohammed and is very helpful, he coverted to Islam a number of years ago.

The Koran is available in most librararies and is educational reading, as are most Holy books.

It is said however that its true meaning cannot be gained unless it is read in Arabic

It is however worth reading and all of us could take lessons from it

Archived