Has anyone on here read The Koran?

i havent read it, BUT i have read the bible and can imagine its a similer sort of epic that pre dates the lord of the rings, nothing more nothing less

Its actually very different. Both the old and new testaments are histories of a kind (however 'unhistorical' in reality and regardless of how much or how little has a factual basis), in that moral messages are unfolded and disclosed through events and through the lives of people of various kinds. The Koran is not like this at all. Both the old and new testaments have a coherent, logical structure in that their contents are sequenced in accordance with the unfolding of the events they describe. The Koran, by contrast, largely consists of 'messages' from God, supposedly revealed to Mohamed (who was illiterate anyway) and then written down by his followers, plus interpretations of these messages. It is mainly a series of behavioural injunctions, written in no particular order, and it is therefore no wonder that people whose conception of holy books derives from the bible can make little sense of it. Lord of the Rings it ain't.

The Koran, by contrast, largely consists of 'messages' from God, supposedly revealed to Mohamed (who was illiterate anyway) and then written down by his followers, plus interpretations of these messages. It is mainly a series of behavioural injunctions, written in no particular order, and it is therefore no wonder that people whose conception of holy books derives from the bible can make little sense of it. Lord of the Rings it ain't.

I think it would be fair to say that all these holy books were made up by a very few literate people and subscribed to by millions of illiterates. How sad that in the 21st century, little has changed.

Its actually very different. Both the old and new testaments are histories of a kind (however 'unhistorical' in reality and regardless of how much or how little has a factual basis), in that moral messages are unfolded and disclosed through events and through the lives of people of various kinds. The Koran is not like this at all. Both the old and new testaments have a coherent, logical structure in that their contents are sequenced in accordance with the unfolding of the events they describe. The Koran, by contrast, largely consists of 'messages' from God, supposedly revealed to Mohamed (who was illiterate anyway) and then written down by his followers, plus interpretations of these messages. It is mainly a series of behavioural injunctions, written in no particular order, and it is therefore no wonder that people whose conception of holy books derives from the bible can make little sense of it. Lord of the Rings it ain't.

hm

so its not a swashbuckling story book then ? :(

The Koran is not only regarded as the infallible word of Allah, as revealed to Mohammed by the Angel Gabriel, and as a guide to the rules of conduct fundamental to the Arab way of life. Aside from its supposed greatness as a book of divine, prophetic literature, it is viewed by many scholars, such as N.J.Dawood, as a literary masterpiece of surpassing excellence.

I read Dawood's standard English translation around a decade ago. To be perfectly frank, aside from being genuinely impressed by the thunderous poetic beauty of many of the verses, I found the general content disconcerting. Without wishing to appear facetious or disrespectful, there seems to be a threat on every page. Growing up as a lapsed Anglican [the church has been taken over by damp-eyed, anorak-wearing guitarists who jump up and down for Jesus], my image of the Almighty is a much gentler one than the image presented in the Koran. Allah, if Dawood's translation can be viewed as reasonably accurate, is most certainly compassionate. However, rarely if ever, had I encountered so many ferocious threats of harrowing torment designed for sinners than in the Islamic holy book.

Sir John Betjeman once remarked that, 'there's refuge in the C of E'. I found little of refuge or comfort in the Koran. To be honest, it scared me half to death.

Archived