Has anyone on here read The Koran?

Oh brother, you went and read N J Dawoods so called version of the Holy Qur'an. No, sorry but even if someone read it in English, which I use to until I learnt Arabic, they ain't going to get much out of it.

When I learnt Arabic, it got me. I understood the meaning and when I look at any intrepretation that is in English - it doesn't even come close.

As for punishment, hell, paradise, etc - when I studied different religions and systems, before Islam, I didn't look on how merciful God is for the truth. What I did, is searched for a true understanding of the the existence of God, the Oneness of God, the understanding of purpose of life, and so forth. I went to the foundation first and the rest followed.

As I studied the Qur'an and you should check the chapter called the Throne, or in Arabic "Ayatul AL- Kursi" which gave me the answer.

"Allah! There is no god but He - the Living, The Self-subsisting, Eternal. No slumber can seize Him Nor Sleep. His are all things In the heavens and on earth. Who is there can intercede In His presence except As he permits?

He knows what (appears to His creatures as) Before or After or Behind them. Nor shall they compass anything of his knowledge Except as He wills. His throne does extend over the heavens and on earth, and He feels No fatigue in guarding And preserving them, For He is the Most High. The Supreme (in glory)."

[surah al-Baqarah 2: 255]

First - study the Oneness of God. Forget the rest because the rest will not be accepted anyway because the first is not. Until the first is, then the rest will be embraced.

But reading it from N J Dawoods, well, whether he is jew or not is not my concern. What is, is his distortion of the Holy Qur'an.

There are a few posts here from people saying they respect, and that we should respect other people's beliefs and religions. Why?

Why should we just respect a religion and its special book, creed, rituals, symbols, dress or whatever without requiring that the believers justify those beliefs - especially if they start impinging on someone else's right to a go peacefully about their lives?

Respect a person's "right" to believe in whatever they like, by all means. But respecting the belief itself, just because someone says it's sacred, is a bit gullible, and as we can see throughout history, very dangerous.

Oh, so if you walked up to someone and dissed their belief, you expect to walk away with nothing happening. Come on! Load or rubbish!

It's got nothing to do with sacred. You respect someone's beliefs because you expect them to also respect yours. Common sense, isn't it? Life is a two way thing. We all live in this world and we should all respect each other.

It is called humanity, it is called being human but hey, if you feel that way, no problem. But then, try it in someone's house who you don't respect their belief, and pick up their bible, or Qur'an or whatever, and throw it on setteeor the floor and then come back to us, to say, "We shouldn't respect."

Hey, why not just go into some neighbours garden and walk over it. Dig a hole in it. Throw your trash on it. I mean, why should you respect their garden. It's only a garden and its only their belief that it's their garden.

Or, how about just going into someone's house with your mud on your shoes and walk all over carpet. It's only mud and why should you and I respect their house.

I mean, respect someone is all very well, but respect their house itself, their garden itself, is just obsurd.

Oh brother, you went and read N J Dawoods so called version of the Holy Qur'an. No, sorry but even if someone read it in English, which I use to until I learnt Arabic, they ain't going to get much out of it.

When I learnt Arabic, it got me. I understood the meaning and when I look at any intrepretation that is in English - it doesn't even come close.

As for punishment, hell, paradise, etc - when I studied different religions and systems, before Islam, I didn't look on how merciful God is for the truth. What I did, is searched for a true understanding of the the existence of God, the Oneness of God, the understanding of purpose of life, and so forth. I went to the foundation first and the rest followed.

As I studied the Qur'an and you should check the chapter called the Throne, or in Arabic "Ayatul AL- Kursi" which gave me the answer.

"Allah! There is no god but He - the Living, The Self-subsisting, Eternal. No slumber can seize Him Nor Sleep. His are all things In the heavens and on earth. Who is there can intercede In His presence except As he permits?

He knows what (appears to His creatures as) Before or After or Behind them. Nor shall they compass anything of his knowledge Except as He wills. His throne does extend over the heavens and on earth, and He feels No fatigue in guarding And preserving them, For He is the Most High. The Supreme (in glory)."

[surah al-Baqarah 2: 255]

First - study the Oneness of God. Forget the rest because the rest will not be accepted anyway because the first is not. Until the first is, then the rest will be embraced.

But reading it from N J Dawoods, well, whether he is jew or not is not my concern. What is, is his distortion of the Holy Qur'an.

I think the same is true of the Bible. Once you feel the oneness you are no longer scared of punishment. I'm interested in reading the Qur'an. Is there a good translation?

I think the same is true of the Bible. Once you feel the oneness you are no longer scared of punishment. I'm interested in reading the Qur'an. Is there a good translation?

'The Meaning of The Holy Qur'an by Abdullah Yusuf Ali,'
is a widely respected English translation. If anything, it's better to learn Arabic to get the whole meaning of the words. Problem with translation (especially from English to Arabic) is that words are easily manipulated, misinterpreted and distorted whether with taint or just mere translation of one language into another -English simply does not have nor cater for the elaborate nuances, tenses and complex linguistic and grammatical structures as in Arabic.

The etymology of many Arabic words are rooted in other meanings -this complexity often makes it hard to fathom even for traditional exegesis and grammatical and lexicographical exegesis.:confused: As for reading the Qur'an in English...why not! Just remember that there's a lot more to the Qur'an than just simplified, often corny, translations :thumbsup:

• 3 years later...

Bit's of it.

Also read another book about the Qu'ran which explains it's interpretations.

Also read various online documents and interpretations.

And a lot of stuff on SF.

I've done the same concerning most religions.

I came to the conclusion that I don't believe in a God! Therefore I have to reject all religion!

Archived