New Indian restaurant- Dosanj at west one

LadyKx

Comments in this thread are interesting, lots of good, lots of bad. Sadly, I'm going to add to the bad...

Had a table booked for 19:30 last night. Left at 21:30 still wondering where our food was. A bizarre experience, the front of house staff seemed pleasant enough when you could get their attention, but there was no service as such.

With a choice of only 4 mains last night I figured service times might be quite snappy.

After 2 hours waiting for mains and only after I'd gone to tell them we were fed up and were leaving, was any kind of explanation/indication of why things were so slow given. Might have accepted the explanation but for the fact that people ordering up to an hour after us got their food before us. A kitchen that can't cope with only having to do 4 main dishes? Something's very very very wrong in that place.

The total lack of food and service, coupled with being freezing cold in there means I'll not be going again on the off-chance of having the good experience some others seem to have done.

On the plus side, had an excellent kebab at Mangal. Couldn't have been a more pleasant meal in there.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi i was wondering if this place has closed down ,as we have a voucher bought by our daughter for my husbands birthday ,and have been constantly phoning to book a table for 2 days and getting no answer .We can,t just turn up as with the vouchers you have to book .

Would be gratefull for any info ,cheers .:confused:

Hi i was wondering if this place has closed down ,as we have a voucher bought by our daughter for my husbands birthday ,and have been constantly phoning to book a table for 2 days and getting no answer .We can,t just turn up as with the vouchers you have to book .

Would be gratefull for any info ,cheers .:confused:

I wouldn't be surprised with the quality of food and service if this place has closed.

You wouldn't need to book at this place. Although if you do go, it might be a good idea to book an alarm call for when the food does eventually arrive about 5 hours after you have ordered it.

Well to be honest i,m not impressed at all by the service and havent even been to the place yet !! .Its 3 days now i,v been constantly ringing to book a table (have a voucher so need to book in advance ).I,v also tried to book through the web site and that too has been ignored ,so ,i,m still wondering if the place has closed down? .:(

I went there for works do, and there were about eight of us. We booked in advance and were the only people in the place yet it took a hour before we even got our starters. The gap between each course was far too long, one of our party had to leave halfway through her main as she had another engagement that evening and had thought she had left MORE than enough time to attend the meal.

The food was delicious though, and there was plenty of it, the staff were very friendly and I didn't think it was overpriced. It's worth a try but only if you aren't in a rush and aren't starving on arrival!

So its not a one off then?

I went with a couple of friends for a meal before a night out back in November. we arrived at 7.30pm (we had not booked but risked it). It was empty apart from a couple who where already eating their mains. This was not a dissapointment as we had to meet our other friends at 9pm. it should of been ideal, a quick meal and we wouldnt have to wait.

I was very wrong we ordered 3 starters and 3 mains. The starters took 1 hour and 15 minutes to arrive???? i could have eaten starters in 3 different restaurants down west street in that time, From experience that is an extra hour compared to a usual 'busy' indain restaurant. At this point we where already late for our meeting but we chose to join up with our friends when we had finished. We assumed as we where still the only people in the place it wouldnt be much longer for the mains to come. We had to wait another 1 hour 15 mins for the mains to arrive. At this point we had ordered our 5th round of drinks :loopy:

We left at 10.30pm after finishing our mains and drinks. Total time spent in the place 3 hours and that with us eating as quick as we could.

The good points are the food was actually quite good but i would never go again becuase of waiting time. If its like that when they have to serve one table what would it be like when its busy. I dont understand how they can think it is ok for a table to wait that long for their food. The manager needs to sort out the kitchen or change the chefs.

Reduce the waiting times and this place will be a hit in that location!

Good people of Sheffield I have just been pointed in the direction of your forum. I visited Dosanj this weekend and was so incensed I had to post a blog about this dire restaurant.

Awful food, trying to pass beef off as lamb, expensive, poor service, need I go on?

I am not allowed to post a link because I'm new to the forum but if you Google Dosanj Sheffield: I am incensed, you will probably find it!

Just had a quick look at their website.

Menu looks interesting but their prices seem a bit on the high side.

Their masala dosaa would have to be pretty exceptional to justify a price of £11.50! (I think I paid £3.95 in East&West). The same goes for their idl (£13.50! I could buy 13 packets of Gits Idli mix and make it myself for that!).

Having said that, I'll probably visit Dosanj at some time. (As long as someone else is paying!) :)

Agree it looks pricey, but i love indian food so may still be tempted to try it out... even if its just the once

Archived