New Indian restaurant- Dosanj at west one

LadyKx

I don't often write on here but we went to Dosanj last night and were very disappointed. I don't want people to go there and waste their money.

There were very few people in when we got there at 7.00. There was a nice lady serving and she took our order for drinks and food. We ordered 2 beers, 2 poppadoms and pickles, 1 chicken biryani and 1 goan fish curry. She asked us what type of rice and nan we wanted. My partner didn't want a nan but she insisted so he relented and asked for a plain one. I asked for a peshwari.

The poppadoms came pretty quickly but no sign of the beer. The poppadoms were awful. Very soggy and floury. The pickle tray consisted of 2 tiny bowls of sauce which were totally bland.

Still no sign of the beer so we reminded her and she admitted she had forgotten. More people were coming in by now but she was still the only one serving. There were 4 'chefs' in the kitchen who appeared to be very laid back. I can imagine the service being very poor should this place even be half full.

The main courses came and they were truly vile. We have eaten curries in Sheffield for over 40 years, usually they are excellent, occasionally they are average but this was definitely the worst. The peshwari nan was a plain nan with 4 seeds on top. The goan fish curry had 3 small pieces of fish which did taste OK but the curry itself (advertised as sweet and spicy) was very bitter like there was lots of lemon in it, and a dark brown stodge very like gravy salts. It was nothing like a curry. No flavours or spices.

My partner's biryani had 3 small pieces of tandoori chicken. It was very dry. No sauce with it at all. All the dry pieces, which presumably were some type of rice, were like dried up mince. Again the bitter taste same as the fish curry, like bitter gravy salts. No flavour or spices.

My partner asked the waitress to take the plates away as it was dreadful. To her credit she deducted 50% off the bill and we did leave her a small tip as she was doing all the work.

I would never go again and would urge others not to go either. It was a total waste of money.

Well i went and will never go again, food very bland had better from Asda, service was quite good but had to remind them we had ordered wine, Rana the head waitress was lovely but needs to chill and take command, not her fault food is poor, my lamb meal consisted of 6 small pieces of meat! and was £13.50 with a tiny peshwari nan (rubbish) and small portion of rice.

As a Party of 4, I went to DOSANJ prior to Christmas on a Saturday night with voucher discounts as part of Charity Unleashed which DOSANJ had signed up for and also to get the business advertised.

On arrival the laminated sign in the window said a maximum of two people only when using vouchers. When we enquired if this included our Charity Unleashed vouchers, the young waiter asked (I think) the manager. Who didnt communicate with us, but told the waiter to tell us " two only" maximum. As we had no prior notice of this restaurant rule and had booked the evening, we had to eat on two seperate tables to use the voucher discount.

We had starters which were very nice.

The main course I had was a " Chicken Byriani" served with peshwari naan. It was neither.....

The chicken was obviously pan fried with in a sauce and then cooked/boiled rice stirred into it. That is not Byriani. Should be cooked in a pot together, not a stir fry with rice.

I asked the waiter what was in the Peshwari Nan as it didnt taste of any of the following- coconut, raisins, almonds, pistachio. He didnt know but asked the chef. He came back to tell me it had " spices in it and thats how they do it here" according to the chef.

If we didnt have vouchers it would have been expensive. Not the authentic Asian Food I expected. The young waiter was very nice, helpful but embarassed, the manager had no presence, no good evening or good night and thank you, as we left.

Do not waste your money here please.

Service: Horrible!

Price: Prohibitively Expensive.

Food quantity: Bad!!

Food quality: Ok.

I went there with my friend at 07:15 PM. Ordered starters, and then Sambar Idly. Starters came after half an hour, and then after another half an hour, we were informed that Sambar Idly was not available. Changed the order, and another one hour passed by. Nothing happened. At 09:30, I told the chef, that we'd been waiting for over 2 hours. Chef told with a grim looking face, and an irritating tone, that it will take another 20 minutes. We walked out after paying for the starters. I felt insulted, to say the least. The service is not just horrible, it is vulgar. The food quantity is real real bad. This is the worst restaurant experience in my life. I will, never, never, never recommend this place to any one. I had to tell my experience to someone, so I registered here, and this is my first post on this forum.

Are you mad!? It's quite apparent from this thread that it's a place to avoid! I'll never be going there - even with heavy discounting.

It is heavy discounted - 2 free main meals up to the value of £30. So you can go there get a couple of pints and just order a main each.

Archived