New Indian restaurant- Dosanj at west one

LadyKx

Went last night and it was fantastic. I didn't think anywhere could top the Mangla but this was right up there.

We went with our Charity vouchers and didn't expect much based on the reviews on here and stories of a very limited menu for those using the vouchers.

We were sat immediately, albeit next to the door which wasn't ideal, but ok. We ordered and our starters were out immediately (pani puri and chilli paneer), within 5-10 minutes and soon as these were done with, our mains were out (Goan fish and Chicken Dosa) and were delicious. The dosa was light and tasty, and absolutely massive! It took me some time to finish it and I was glad the waitress advised against getting a side plate of rice!

Admittedly, if I hadn't got the vouchers then I'd have baulked at the idea of paying £18.50 for some of the curries but the quality was definitely there last night.

With our free mains, our bill came to £15.50 for two beers, two starters and two mains. Brilliant stuff. Will certainly go back for a special occasion.

Would love to try this place if I can get a Dosa...Its been ages since I have had South Indian food in UK...never in Sheffield

If you are not too bothered about the decor, try the dosas at East and West on Abbeydale Road.

hello ppl, returned to sheff to live once more!! wooo hooo good to be back.

went to this place on wednesday, thought it was good.......... so supprised when i came on here to find all theses reviews. I will go back as I did not experience what others have.

altough it is curious that one place gets recommended a lot on here as an alternative........... coincidence? I get the feeling that its not, as I dont hear mangla getting mention as alternative, used to go there a lot and been told that it is as good as ever. but this other place on abbeydale is always mentioned on here......

I have been told of a good thai rest on atterclife road, anyone know where it is as I cant find it.

altough it is curious that one place gets recommended a lot on here as an alternative........... coincidence? I get the feeling that its not, as I dont hear mangla getting mention as alternative, used to go there a lot and been told that it is as good as ever. but this other place on abbeydale is always mentioned on here......

Not curious at at all: East and West do better South Indian food at lower prices than Dosanj and seem to be able to serve people in a reasonable amount of time. Of course, you don't get the location and surroundings. For other types of "Indian" food, I have had better at Chaman and the Kashmir Curry Centre.

As it happens, my one experience of Dosanj was pretty good (as reported here) but it was on a cheaper, more limited, menu than the main one.

I went last night with my Wife, all I can say is steer well clear. The food was bland, they had non of the wines of choice and the prices are very high. The menu looks very good but we had 2 meals off the chefs specials and I could have done better at home. There is a massive choice of indian resteraunts in sheffield, We will not be going back.

If you are not too bothered about the decor, try the dosas at East and West on Abbeydale Road.

Could not recommend this place more - and I'm Tamil so I should know!

Dosanj was grossly disappointing. The food all tasted of tumeric, the wine was foul and the poor waitress could not describe any of the dishes when we had queries. In addition we waited for close to an hour for our meal.

Swissheavy,

The reason I'm a first time user is because I was so peed off with my experiance at Dosanj, I felt I should write something on here. I have no connection with the food business at all. If I was Competition i would have mentioned another resteraunt in my post. When you wait 30 mins for popadoms something is not right. If you would like me to expand on our ruined evening then please let me know. I have not been out with my wife on our own for about 6 months (2.4 kids etc) and wish we had not bothered.

I have not got it in for these guys, I just feel very sad that these places survive in sheffield.

Regards

Andy

Could not recommend this place more - and I'm Tamil so I should know!

I had a nice, creamy Muttar Paneer from "East And West" on Thursday, with an interesting steamed wheat and coconut roll (I forget the name of it) in place of the rice or naan.

I enjoyed it, although the Muttar Paneer was still a shade too spicy (too many chilis) for my palate, despite asking the chef to make it really mildly spiced for me.

I do think I'd eat from there again, definitely. (I love paneer!)

Archived