Someone with loadsa money PLEASE open a gay bar in Sheffield!!

At the Earl we have considered a Gay night, but not sure it would work, or whether or not we'd get too much grief from the regulars, etc. I felt since coming here that there is no-one catering for the gay crowd. It's such a risk for a club owner to try, and I'm told that the gay market is fickle so if you did do night, they would probably not last long and be more trouble than it's worth...still it's a thought I will continue to ponder.

Originally posted by cellarhigh

at the risk of sounding contraversial...

I've got lots of gay friends here (my gf is bi as well) and there really doesn't seem to be a market in Sheffield as much as there is elsewhere.

Climax very rarely sells out and its only does so when the straight club night at the uni on the same night does and climax gets the overspill of straight students - and thats a monthly night. If climax is meant to be representative of how good a proper gay club in sheffield could work, then it doesn't reflect it well enough for someone to risk all that money on building a G.A.Y or something similar.

Also I accept that people work midweek but coming from london I know that regardless of being a weekday that if Takapuna was having a gay thursday night in london or manchester that it would be packed. Trouble is in Sheffield there isn't that same demand.

Its a shame cause im fully up for something like manchester in sheffield, and i do agree that sheffield does have a shortage of bars full stop. Its also exciting that Sheffield's growing the way it is and I love this city.

Nothing against sheffield tho beacause I love it but can even you imagine a bar having a strict door policy? I'm from london and you'd be laughed at by bouncers in upmarket places trying to get in wearing trainers or jeans however fashionable they may be and yet whenever I go out in sheffield i can get away with any casual wear because the clubs can't afford to turn people away.

Sheffield is growing and its becoming a very exciting place to be, but its at the very least 10 years behind manchester, leeds, birmingham and to be honest, nottingham as well.

Just be extremely happy that it costs just £10 for a manchester return with the last trains back being something like 2am - thats brilliant value especially when I use to spend that in taxis alone.

As a club owner myself of a few venues in Sheffield, I couldn't agree more with this above. It's not a easy call for a club owner to take this risk, unless you literally live the life style and even then risky. I've only lived here 4 years, but I get the feeling Sheffield is more conservative and 10 years behind London, but I'm sure it will change in time. On another note I've been also told the S and M crowd is massive here, along with fetishes etc etc, most active in the country, although it's just something I heard....

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by unners

Can we not just arrange for all our gay friends to meet up on 4 Saturdays in a row in some nice bar and gradually turn the place gay?

What bar would you like to turn Gay/Gayer?

That's a great idea lol!

I would probably turn Bai Hoi or Crystal gay/gayer:P

Guest unners
Originally posted by skyfitsboy

That's a great idea lol!

I would probably turn Bai Hoi or Crystal gay/gayer:P

Lets turn Bai Hoi gay, as when i went past earlier i noticed Stella at £1.95 bargin!

Turning a bar gay is what we did when I lived in north Wales - and it worked a treat, until the rather slow landlady got wise to it. I was turned away at the door for the hideous crime of having bleached blonde hair and Buffalo boots on!! the sign on the door said "no bum boys allowed"

looking back, I guess she had a right to turn such a mess away, but at the time, it was quite cool.

The bar then closed down about 2 months later, and we continued to travel to England in search of a scene....

Originally posted by richynomates

Turning a bar gay is what we did when I lived in north Wales - and it worked a treat, until the rather slow landlady got wise to it. I was turned away at the door for the hideous crime of having bleached blonde hair and Buffalo boots on!! the sign on the door said "no bum boys allowed"

looking back, I guess she had a right to turn such a mess away, but at the time, it was quite cool.

The bar then closed down about 2 months later, and we continued to travel to England in search of a scene....

Visions of richynomates dressed up like Daffyd from Little Brittain...:rolleyes::D

EDIT: On a more serious note, i would love to see a decent gay bar open in sheffield. Im not one for all this club business...i prefer to sit and have a drink, and a laugh with my mates, while looking at all the pretty boys....

Originally posted by bigjay

what night would be preferable........?

In answer to the original thread of opening a gaybar - all week long!! but in answer to the diverted topic "turning a bar gay" - i guess a Thursday, as it's nearly the weekend.

And in reply to Avalon wanting to sit and look at pretty boys, I found that All Bar One after work tends to fulfill that one people just being people - and no danger of anyone being dressed like Dafydd!

Archived