Running an Open Mic Night

RUNNING AN OPEN MIC NIGHT

Hey there

I'm wanting to run an open mic night in the North of Sheffield. There's already 2 excellent jam sessions that I know of though.

My intention is to mix karaoke with a jamming session. I can sing, but don't play guitar very well. Hopefully others will come that can play .

For me, this will be a place to practice my djing and singing. However, the idea is to encourage the karaoke crowd to mix with players. There is some excellent Karaoke singers that should really be singing with bands but have never even considered it.

I've already approached some tenants and a pub chain who are willing to give it a try. Just wondered who'd be interested in going to such an event, and any advice that you have.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Yes, I'm doing this for free.

I play guitar/bass and would love to get to an open mic night some time. Haven't been to one in ages as performing in front of a crowd is quite daunting.

How would it work then? I assume that the instrumentalists would need to learn some karaoke songs in order for any singers there to get up and perform.

It would be fun learning some of these. :hihi:

RUNNING AN OPEN MIC NIGHT

Hey there

I'm wanting to open an open night mic in the North of Sheffield. There's already 2 excellent jam sessions that I know of though.

My intention is to mix karaoke with a jamming session. I can sing, but don't play guitar very well. Hopefully others will come that can play .

For me, this will be a place to practice my djing and singing. However, the idea is to encourage the karaoke crowd to mix with players. There is some excellent Karaoke singers that should really be singing with bands but have never even considered it.

I've already approached some tenants and a pub chain who are willing to give it a try. Just wondered who'd be interested in going to such an event, and any advice that you have.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Yes, I'm doing this for free.

Gods, these live music freeks. Give me a good bassline DJ any day over the rock sht.

I play guitar/bass and would love to get to an open mic night some time. Haven't been to one in ages as performing in front of a crowd is quite daunting.

How would it work then? I assume that the instrumentalists would need to learn some karaoke songs in order for any singers there to get up and perform.

It would be fun learning some of these. :hihi:

I've just had a look at the link.

Gods, I'm so sick of old men singing Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra and Niel Diamond.

Woman singing Valerie, Killing me Softley and meatloaf.

The girls always pic songs that go on for 15 mins in the last hour of the gig. Then everyone gets all upset because they cant get up. The joys of been a KJ.

I just want the vision to work and for people to sing cool songs lol.

To be credible an Open Mic night should have in house guitars, amps and a drum kit plus a vocal PA.

I've run a number of open mics over the years and once one is established, the musicians who will attend tend to play together, write music together and form alliances.

I've never heard of karaoke being mixed in with this and not sure if it would be seen as a credible night if you were to do this.

Little talent or practice is needed for karaoke and open mic musicians take their music quite seriously.

You could perhaps try PMing foxy lady. She plays all kinds of guitars and electric violin. She has been know to fill in on open mic nights. Unfortunately she was married last Saturday and won't be back from honeymoon for another week and a half.

I agree with Classic Rock. The idea of mixing karaoke with live musicians may not go down to well with the "talent".

Unfortunately she was married last Saturday

:hihi:

I think it'd be good fun to learn some karaoke songs for people to sing over. I'm always turning these cheesy pop songs into nice acoustic numbers.

I thought the whole idea of pub music was it was supposed to be a little rough around the edges. Not saying these people aren't talented, just that the price of getting everyone involved and up at the mic is that not everyone plays/sings at professional level.

Archived