Running an Open Mic Night

Thanks to Epiphany their support and Classic Rock for her advice.

At the end of the day this is supposed to be some fun. Experienced musicains do build up a snobbery between them and jam sessions become closed shops to outsiders. Especially to begginers or people like myself that can't progress their playing any further lol.

A work mate of mine first got into playing bass in a punk band. To me Punk isn't music, buy like my workmate pointed out - Punk shifted away the musician snobbery, all of a sudden you could play two chords, make sht loads of noise and be in a popular band. It was his route to the stage. 30 years on the guy is an excellent bass player.

So a fun event like I'm trying to put together might work. At the end of the day, I'm not making any money from the event. If the karaoke lot turn up and drink more than the musicians, I'm sure the landlord would appreciate the custum.

• 2 weeks later...
It might be worth trying at the Pamona. A mate of mine tried to get an open mic night going there and it was inundated with the karaoke crowd, but none of the musos knew any of the tunes the divas wanted to sing

Your mate wouldnt be the head barman of the Pamona, that was doing a jam up at the washington?

My mates the DJ in the Pamona. Don't think he'd be too chuffed me turning up at his venue putting on freebies. The guys gotta earn a living without someone undercutting with a freebie.

But thanks for the suggestion.

• 1 year later...
are you still looking to put on an open mic night if so contact me on youtunes@live.co.uk

You must be short of reading dude, thats a way old thread of mine.

Nope, couldn't find a pub my side of town which wasn't full of idiots to do it in. If you want to help out, my mate Micks got a thread up for Bellhouse Club. He's doing this Thursday from 8pm on a fortnightly basis. We need some more musicians to turn up who play a varity of instruments. 4 guitarists twanging the same ryhthm can be too much lol.

And to SpooferMan who keeps stalking my threads, it's not the same Mick.

Gods, these live music freeks. Give me a good bassline DJ any day over the rock sht.

Probably explains why you go on facebook slagging off the rock bars....

And as for karaoke, we all know you havent got the bottle to get up and sing - you proved that a while ago :hihi:

thanks for that I was looking to start my own in chapeltown area but it seems so hard to get a venue might try and make bellhouse club and see what happens oh and dont slag each other off it made me feel all bad and responsible for it

Kee an eye on the Bellhouse thread.

Mick only does it fortnightly. Don't want you making a wasted journey.

• 3 weeks later...

thanks for the recomendation to bellhouse I went on 10th feb mick is a nice fella and a belting singer.

would love to get involved in running a night as i am passionate about doing sound as well as playing.

were you there that night if so sorry if we didnt meet

thanks again graham

Archived