The Warehouse Project moving to Sheffield?

Misty 8T

Im going to answer this before Mark does (because no doubt he will rightfully be seething)...

Plug Neutral (2nd room) does not hold anywhere near 1000 people...and never has.

A typical UG lineup and costs or any other high callibre event you are looking at the following :-

Artist nos 1 - £3500

Artist nos 2 - £1000

ressies - £150-300

venue costs - £600-£800

booking fees - £400

flyers - £300

artwork - £100

distribution - £200

production - £300

total (sure ive missed out loads) £ 6800 plus vat on

Incoming - 700 x £10 £7000.00

minus vat (nett) £ 6086.00

loss made on event.

Trust me, more events loose monies than make it.

Dont think that artists give mates rates either......agents are employed to take a slice out of these acts and work with them to build it the fees.

That's roughly what I reckoned. Like I said in a previous post I used to wonder how UG was viable towards the end. Fair play to them for sticking it out as long as they did.

Sorry, I over estimated the size of Neutral, although I’m sure I’ve been in there where there has been more than 700 (Timo Maas etc) but the point I was trying to get across is UG could generate (roughly) enough revenue in order to pay for high end top djs, such as the ones listed… Green Velvet, JZ, Evil 9, Ralph… even if making a small loss.

Most small underground night would not go near a dj charging 3500 for a set. UG had a lot more buying power then smaller nights currently in operation.

Sorry, I over estimated the size of Neutral, although I’m sure I’ve been in there where there has been more than 700 (Timo Maas etc) but the point I was trying to get across is UG could generate (roughly) enough revenue in order to pay for high end top djs, such as the ones listed… Green Velvet, JZ, Evil 9, Ralph… even if making a small loss.

Most small underground night would not go near a dj charging 3500 for a set. UG had a lot more buying power then smaller nights currently in operation.

Which was my point. Collaboration is the only way to get Sheffield back on the map. The smaller nights can't do it on their own.

Its not the nights or promoters who are at fault most of the time. Its incredibly difficult to motivate sheffield. People are either ridiculously fickle or refuse to pay money to see a DJ. I remember when Yousef and someone else was on at DQ, I worked on the door that night and people were moaning at fiver to get in. It seems we want the whole world with jam on it but aren't willing to pay.

Its not the nights or promoters who are at fault most of the time. Its incredibly difficult to motivate sheffield. People are either ridiculously fickle or refuse to pay money to see a DJ. I remember when Yousef and someone else was on at DQ, I worked on the door that night and people were moaning at fiver to get in. It seems we want the whole world with jam on it but aren't willing to pay.

Most people neither know nor care who's playing unless its a "brand name" DJ (for which you'll have paid handsomely) .. its always far better to build up the night as a good party (old fashioned I know) than get caught up with paying big fees to "name" DJs just for the sake of it (rather than what they can bring in terms of music or entertainment)

Im going to answer this before Mark does (because no doubt he will rightfully be seething)...

Plug Neutral (2nd room) does not hold anywhere near 1000 people...and never has.

A typical UG lineup and costs or any other high callibre event you are looking at the following :-

Artist nos 1 - £3500

Artist nos 2 - £1000

ressies - £150-300

venue costs - £600-£800

booking fees - £400

flyers - £300

artwork - £100

distribution - £200

production - £300

total (sure ive missed out loads) £ 6800 plus vat on

Incoming - 700 x £10 £7000.00

minus vat (nett) £ 6086.00

loss made on event.

Trust me, more events loose monies than make it.

Dont think that artists give mates rates either......agents are employed to take a slice out of these acts and work with them to build it the fees.

daft question but who gets the money taken behind the bar?

Most people neither know nor care who's playing unless its a "brand name" DJ (for which you'll have paid handsomely) .. its always far better to build up the night as a good party (old fashioned I know) than get caught up with paying big fees to "name" DJs just for the sake of it (rather than what they can bring in terms of music or entertainment)
But for that you need a venue with an owner who is in it for the long haul and doesn't mind not making maximum profit or you need deep pockets to run at a loss for a while. Who has the money for that?

I agree Ant we wouldn't go near anyone charging that much..... however there is a big YET that sits nicely at the end of that statement.

UG started on a Thursday night playing breaks and ended up playing host to Sasha, Ame, Boy 8 Bit, Krafty, all the ressies et al in one night...!

We had to put on 99p parties and £2 parties in May and June to be able to be confident and comfortable enough to get Subb-An involved for the end of this month (not just money-wise but also building a bit of momentum).

I think since UG has stopped there has been a big question mark over who will take its place and lots of (extra) moaning about the state of the scene, but there wasnt one particular night ready to fill their boots or if there was maybe they didnt want to or it was a different crowd... I would have loved to have been in that position but we are just at the start of our lifespan and its the ambitions and patience of promoters that will get Sheffield back on the map.

What I find amazing is the fact that there are about 20 people all passionate about Sheffield clubbing contributing to this forum thread. I'm not neccesarily saying we all need to put on a massive rave together (although it might be an idea) but it just gives me hope that people like us are working away on getting Sheffield back where it belongs.

As for booking £800 plus DJ's... It would be great to be able to do that in such a small venue like Lions Lair, but if you're creative and look hard enough there are seminal acts out there that will play for £500. I saw Booka Shade in Fez club @ UG so it definately goes to show that if you're on the ball you can give people what they want at the right money...

I agree Ant we wouldn't go near anyone charging that much..... however there is a big YET that sits nicely at the end of that statement.

UG started on a Thursday night playing breaks and ended up playing host to Sasha, Ame, Boy 8 Bit, Krafty, all the ressies et al in one night...!

We had to put on 99p parties and £2 parties in May and June to be able to be confident and comfortable enough to get Subb-An involved for the end of this month (not just money-wise but also building a bit of momentum).

I think since UG has stopped there has been a big question mark over who will take its place and lots of (extra) moaning about the state of the scene, but there wasnt one particular night ready to fill their boots or if there was maybe they didnt want to or it was a different crowd... I would have loved to have been in that position but we are just at the start of our lifespan and its the ambitions and patience of promoters that will get Sheffield back on the map.

What I find amazing is the fact that there are about 20 people all passionate about Sheffield clubbing contributing to this forum thread. I'm not neccesarily saying we all need to put on a massive rave together (although it might be an idea) but it just gives me hope that people like us are working away on getting Sheffield back where it belongs.

As for booking £800 plus DJ's... It would be great to be able to do that in such a small venue like Lions Lair, but if you're creative and look hard enough there are seminal acts out there that will play for £500. I saw Booka Shade in Fez club @ UG so it definately goes to show that if you're on the ball you can give people what they want at the right money...

You're right, I've booked a couple of very good acts for less than £800, and had some good ones offered too. It would be nice to splash out once in a while though and bring someone you've always wanted to hear to Sheffield. Like you say though, it's all about patience.

Archived