The Warehouse Project moving to Sheffield?

Misty 8T

I dont see why we need a 'new big venue'. What Sheffield needs is intelligent people to go out and support small nights when they book forward thinking artists.

A great example would be Diasha with Fish Go Deep and Charles Webster (I seem to remember). If we had another big venue there wouldnt be enough people to fill it unless they booked massive names - and I dont find this appealing at all. For example Plug have booked Dubfire. He's an awesome DJ but I'd go to see Fish Go Deep at Diasha every time (more underground, independant promters in a more intimate venue)... These 'awesome raves' that you speak of are happening all the time, you just need to know where to look for them.

I like the idea of The Steel City Experiment and wish them all the luck in the world, but earlier on there was a mention of the night not becoming a carbon copy of the Manchester thing, however its quite clear that there has been a huge influence from WHP otherwise the night wouldnt have been referenced. Also the fact that it was almost called 'The Warehouse Experiment' had me rolling about laughing. Its not exactly original is it? Also the format of a 3 month period ending on NYE is all very very carbon copy-ish if you ask me...

I think that the guys that are doing the This Is Underground thing have got the best idea as they have a more unique venue, that wont be too difficult to fill.

Going back to the success of the SCE, I hope that there has been as much effort put into the proposed events as the WHP otherwise it is destined to fail. The fact that the group says 'two years in the making' on it yet the name reflects about two minutes of brainstorming, along with artwork that looks frankly like its been knocked together really quickly doesnt fill me with hope for the lads that are doing it. I know that factors these are nothing in comparison to the atmosphere on the night and the music played, but prospective attendees will look at the line-ups, design, blurbs and of course the name when summing up how likely it is that this thing is being run by professionals or not. I'm not calling the organisors unproffesional, but I think that they have a tall order and personally I wouldn't feel confident in parting with cash at this stge.

Consider the herculean amount of promo that went into Tramlines. The SCE (given the fact this will run for a few months) is potentially going to need more coverage and not just in Sheffield. All I have seen with 7 weeks till October, is a facebook group and this thread.

Good luck guys.

So you're full of optimism then?! :hihi:;):)

For example Plug have booked Dubfire. He's an awesome DJ but I'd go to see Fish Go Deep at Diasha every time (more underground, independent promoters in a more intimate venue)... These 'awesome raves' that you speak of are happening all the time, you just need to know where to look for them.

You make some great points most of which i cant comment on. However, re Dubfire @ Plug...im not sure you are aware, but we are independent promoters. Once upon a time some 8 years ago, we took over area 51 and renamed it .Zero. After several years, **** or bust more weekends than i can care to remember, the unit next door came available. All of our promoters for years had been begging for a 2nd room, and after much deliberation we took the plunge and opened up the venue and created Plug. We are no PLC or corporate company. Scott n i bought a venue rather than a house....we and our team work damned hard to break even over the course of a year.

I know a large venue isnt everybodies cup of tea, however, it gave us the opportunity to put large acts both dj and live such as Prodigy, De la Soul, Premier & soon Dubfire on.

Sheffield needs small & large venues, people need a variety. Lets not knock the bigger ones as there arent intimate enough....there are many zogg and ug followers who will state differently.

Green my apologies for that sounding like a dig at Plug (I know you're an independant company - not some massive conglomerate, it just comes across as less personal I guess)... I've had some quality nights in Plug over the years at UG and also seeing Loco Dice twice, MANDY, Tim Sheridan et al...

I guess its just me that likes smaller things over bigger venues. I get the feeling when I'm out that larger venues attract 'the masses' and it doesnt always feel like I'm in a room with total and utter music lovers/enthusiasts.

Hey Discodown, like I say I wish them all the luck in the world but at this stage when WHP was starting up (despite sound issues at Boddingtons warehouse) they had already had massive coverage in Mixmag, national press, DJ - pretty much everything you can think of. WHP is full of people from all over the country. The warehouse that is to be used for the SCE looks pretty damn big, but I doubt many people outside Sheffield know about it yet.

I'm just thinking about it realistically.

Hey Discodown, like I say I wish them all the luck in the world but at this stage when WHP was starting up (despite sound issues at Boddingtons warehouse) they had already had massive coverage in Mixmag, national press, DJ - pretty much everything you can think of. WHP is full of people from all over the country. The warehouse that is to be used for the SCE looks pretty damn big, but I doubt many people outside Sheffield know about it yet.

I don't necessarily disagree with you on anything you've said. I hope they pull off a blinder

Green my apologies for that sounding like a dig at Plug (I know you're an independant company - not some massive conglomerate, it just comes across as less personal I guess)... I've had some quality nights in Plug over the years at UG and also seeing Loco Dice twice, MANDY, Tim Sheridan et al...

I guess its just me that likes smaller things over bigger venues. I get the feeling when I'm out that larger venues attract 'the masses' and it doesnt always feel like I'm in a room with total and utter music lovers/enthusiasts.

We are all on the same side :)

Warehouse Project line-ups were announced a few weeks ago, I don't like 95.26% of it but as die 2B loco points out they've had national coverage in numerous magazines and online sources.

Personally, I hope they don't go down the same route of massive, obvious line-ups like Warehouse Project.

Sorry to sound repetitive, but it ain't the venues or the promoters that are the problem in Sheffield, it's the crowds. There's enough to support a few little underground nights but that's it.

Unless Dan and co are going to book some big names they will struggle to fill this venue. This isn't a dig or me being negative but there have been some big names fall flat this year in Sheffield i.e. Nic Fanciulli at ES, Back to Basics at Redroom etc

Sorry to sound repetitive, but it ain't the venues or the promoters that are the problem in Sheffield, it's the crowds. There's enough to support a few little underground nights but that's it.

Unless Dan and co are going to book some big names they will struggle to fill this venue.

weren't you the one suggesting that they should book underground trance artists?

Archived