The Warehouse Project moving to Sheffield?

Misty 8T

You make some great points most of which i cant comment on. However, re Dubfire @ Plug...im not sure you are aware, but we are independent promoters. Once upon a time some 8 years ago, we took over area 51 and renamed it .Zero. After several years, **** or bust more weekends than i can care to remember, the unit next door came available. All of our promoters for years had been begging for a 2nd room, and after much deliberation we took the plunge and opened up the venue and created Plug. We are no PLC or corporate company. Scott n i bought a venue rather than a house....we and our team work damned hard to break even over the course of a year.

I know a large venue isnt everybodies cup of tea, however, it gave us the opportunity to put large acts both dj and live such as Prodigy, De la Soul, Premier & soon Dubfire on.

Sheffield needs small & large venues, people need a variety. Lets not knock the bigger ones as there arent intimate enough....there are many zogg and ug followers who will state differently.

Here's a question, there is a 3 room venue in the city centre which it looks like to me is seldom fully booked (just an observation). There are a host of small to medium size nights holding their own in the city. Why haven't a few of these nights got together and taken over the Plug? Surely the combined crowds of the various nights could put a serious dent in the capacity of the Plug? The Plug is probably the best venue in Sheffield in terms of set up and versatility. Okay, it's not exactly 'underground' but it's preferable to the backroom of a pub, or DQ.

Here's a question, there is a 3 room venue in the city centre which it looks like to me is seldom fully booked (just an observation). There are a host of small to medium size nights holding their own in the city. Why haven't a few of these nights got together and taken over the Plug? Surely the combined crowds of the various nights could put a serious dent in the capacity of the Plug? The Plug is probably the best venue in Sheffield in terms of set up and versatility. Okay, it's not exactly 'underground' but it's preferable to the backroom of a pub, or DQ.

Its a reasonable idea in theory - Planet Zogg & Dubcentral got 1100 through the doors the other week ( I often wonder if we're invisible at Zogg given the overlooking in these sorts of discussions! ;) )

BUT... it was free; the Plug usually *is* fully booked outside of the summer; it'd be quite a task to coordinate lots of different promoters into a coherent programme - which is what you need when you're running a large city centre venue...

Its a reasonable idea in theory - Planet Zogg & Dubcentral got 1100 through the doors the other week ( I often wonder if we're invisible at Zogg given the overlooking in these sorts of discussions! ;) )

BUT... it was free; the Plug usually *is* fully booked outside of the summer; it'd be quite a task to coordinate lots of different promoters into a coherent programme - which is what you need when you're running a large city centre venue...

I get your point. It's just there are lots of similar nights springing up around Sheffield with their own individual crowds. Surely combining them would have the effect or breaking the critical mass and creating a regular crowd of decent proportions. I hate to say it, and I'll get hammered for it but look at Technique, Asylum, Mono_Cult, System and Louche in Leeds. These guys support each other and the effect is probably the most vibrant scene outside London.

I get your point. It's just there are lots of similar nights springing up around Sheffield with their own individual crowds. Surely combining them would have the effect or breaking the critical mass and creating a regular crowd of decent proportions. I hate to say it, and I'll get hammered for it but look at Technique, Asylum, Mono_Cult, System and Louche in Leeds. These guys support each other and the effect is probably the most vibrant scene outside London.
But that is one of the problems with sheffield. It does seem that all the people aren't willing to work together which fragments and weakens the scene.

But that is one of the problems with sheffield. It does seem that all the people aren't willing to work together which fragments and weakens the scene.

I'll take umbrage with you on this one... To suggest promoters aren't willing to work together is, frankly, nonsense.

We would like nothing more than to link up with various crews from Sheffield, and perhaps invite some over from Leeds and Manchester. The thought of a promoter pile-up between us, Tinnitus, Room 303 and Subvert has me weak at the knees, and being able to have Room 237, the lads from Sequence, Bang Face, Detached or any number of crews from around the country over for a versus would be equally amazing.

We've talked about it with each of the Sheffield crews I mentioned and all are more than willing, but we always encounter the same problem: where the hell do we do it?

In our case, any potential link-ups with other promoters is restricted to a single room venue at the moment. We can still do good events, but an extra room would allow for some really exciting opportunities.

Tell me of a licensed club suitable for techno/electronic music, with three rooms (or even two) available on a Friday or Saturday night from October to May and I'll be breaking the door down to get in.

I hate to say it, and I'll get hammered for it but look at Technique, Asylum, Mono_Cult, System and Louche in Leeds. These guys support each other and the effect is probably the most vibrant scene outside London.

We used to do this, in fact way back around 2002 there was a big feature in the club section of The Face magazine about Sheffield club promoters collaborating featuring us (Urban Gorilla & Tuesday Club), Remedy, NY Sushi & Phonetics. They came up and did a photoshoot and created a full double page spread about it. At the time we were running a number of collaborative events, sharing office space & resources etc and it worked really well for everyone.

Clowne Miners Welfare or The Polish Club on Eccy Rd

Clowne Miners is potentially an amazing venue. Its just a shame its in a mining town 15 miles from Sheffield. And its full of cocks.

Booking reputable acts and having a cracking night outside the realms of Plug and DQ is possible. I know because we're doing it. Whether its a success........?

I like the sound of a poly-promoter party at Plug, but personally I would find it a bit of a logistical nightmare. All those people to coordinate!!! However Rossian has proved that it can be done, and if there are enough promoters out there that think they could and would like to do it then I reckon they should get cracking! I'm sure Plug would be up for hearing proposals...

Clowne Miners is potentially an amazing venue. Its just a shame its in a mining town 15 miles from Sheffield. And its full of cocks.

Booking reputable acts and having a cracking night outside the realms of Plug and DQ is possible. I know because we're doing it. Whether its a success........?

I like the sound of a poly-promoter party at Plug, but personally I would find it a bit of a logistical nightmare. All those people to coordinate!!! However Rossian has proved that it can be done, and if there are enough promoters out there that think they could and would like to do it then I reckon they should get cracking! I'm sure Plug would be up for hearing proposals...

The door is always open, and id be more than happy to listen and work with other promoters......adele@the-plug.com

x

Archived