The Warehouse Project moving to Sheffield?

Misty 8T

Clowne Miners is potentially an amazing venue. Its just a shame its in a mining town 15 miles from Sheffield. And its full of cocks.

Booking reputable acts and having a cracking night outside the realms of Plug and DQ is possible. I know because we're doing it. Whether its a success........?

I like the sound of a poly-promoter party at Plug, but personally I would find it a bit of a logistical nightmare. All those people to coordinate!!! However Rossian has proved that it can be done, and if there are enough promoters out there that think they could and would like to do it then I reckon they should get cracking! I'm sure Plug would be up for hearing proposals...

Yep, I've done it too. But you'll struggle to cover the costs of anyone who charges above £800 once you've paid rent, bouncers etc unless you charge stupid door prices. From what I've seen people in Sheff don't really want to pay above £4-6for a night out which limits the outlay you can make. You can get some very good DJ's for less than £800 but you're also missing out on a lot.

P.S. You've honestly been to Clowne Miners Welfare in so much as you can even comment on the clientele?

Yep, I've done it too. But you'll struggle to cover the costs of anyone who charges above £800 once you've paid rent, bouncers etc unless you charge stupid door prices. From what I've seen people in Sheff don't really want to pay above £4-6for a night out which limits the outlay you can make. You can get some very good DJ's for less than £800 but you're also missing out on a lot.

P.S. You've honestly been to Clowne Miners Welfare in so much as you can even comment on the clientele?

If you're at a decent venue they'll provide these for you so that you can use door proceeds to pay for DJ's so there really is no need to compromise.

If you're at a decent venue they'll provide these for you so that you can use door proceeds to pay for DJ's so there really is no need to compromise.

You still need to push 200 plus through the door for someone who charges £800 which isn't always easy. You do it, so I'm sure you know how it works.

True but then it comes down to clever promotion and marketing to the right section of people; it's possible but you're right, not always easy.

Even promotion is getting trickier. The cost of handing out flyers (design, printing, licensing) must now put off a lot of smaller or new promoters. Facebook I think is both good and bad. Good because done right it can be a great tool. Bad because it can also make people very lazy (I'll just bang an event of facebook and the masses will come). Also, I sometimes get that many event invites I hardly take notice unless it's from an established promoter that I know will deliver the goods. What you need is venue that will support and help you develop your brand. Again, my experience here is 'well here's the room, go for it' which is tough, especially when first starting out.

The real issue here is that DJs are ridiculously overpaid.

Ha ha, nail and head.

When I used to come to UG nights I really struggled to see how you made it finacially viable. You always put on great lineups for a decent fee, Green Velvet and James Zabiela (not my cup of tea but a big booking) springs to mind along with Joh Wink and Ralph Lawson.

Tell me of a licensed club suitable for techno/electronic music, with three rooms (or even two) available on a Friday or Saturday night from October to May and I'll be breaking the door down to get in.

What about Yellow Arch Studios?

There is evidence of different promoters helping each other out. Just look at the mango boys holding pre parties for us and then Cookin Goose hosting our after parties.

Yeh its not like in Leeds where the promoters fully collaborate on an event, but that doesn’t mean that none of us would be up for doing something. I can say I would definitely be interested.

The problem though is venue wise; if we could get a slot in plug then I would really like to see something interesting take place, techno collaboration, with some dubstep input etc. Would really like to see a sweep of small underground night in sheff come together for a massive party. Each contributing to paying for guests and have a massive night like we witnessed at tramlines.

UG would have made it financially viable. Think they packed that 2nd room in Plug out, what is it 900/1000 capacity. 10 quid on door, 10k… You then got, what up to 6k to spend on djs… Mark made some decent relationships with all his djs, as they’d been playing at UG for years. Take JZ, he was playing almost from the very start, when he was mostly unheard of. Cant imagine James charging UG full whack...

There is evidence of different promoters helping each other out. Just look at the mango boys holding pre parties for us and then Cookin Goose hosting our after parties.

Yeh its not like in Leeds where the promoters fully collaborate on an event, but that doesn’t mean that none of us would be up for doing something. I can say I would definitely be interested.

The problem though is venue wise; if we could get a slot in plug then I would really like to see something interesting take place, techno collaboration, with some dubstep input etc. Would really like to see a sweep of small underground night in sheff come together for a massive party. Each contributing to paying for guests and have a massive night like we witnessed at tramlines.

UG would have made it financially viable. Think they packed that 2nd room in Plug out, what is it 900/1000 capacity. 10 quid on door, 10k… You then got, what up to 6k to spend on djs… Mark made some decent relationships with all his djs, as they’d been playing at UG for years. Take JZ, he was playing almost from the very start, when he was mostly unheard of. Cant imagine James charging UG full whack...

Im going to answer this before Mark does (because no doubt he will rightfully be seething)...

Plug Neutral (2nd room) does not hold anywhere near 1000 people...and never has.

A typical UG lineup and costs or any other high callibre event you are looking at the following :-

Artist nos 1 - £3500

Artist nos 2 - £1000

ressies - £150-300

venue costs - £600-£800

booking fees - £400

flyers - £300

artwork - £100

distribution - £200

production - £300

total (sure ive missed out loads) £ 6800 plus vat on

Incoming - 700 x £10 £7000.00

minus vat (nett) £ 6086.00

loss made on event.

Trust me, more events loose monies than make it.

Dont think that artists give mates rates either......agents are employed to take a slice out of these acts and work with them to build it the fees.

Archived