High Storrs School - 1969-1974

• 2 months later...

Yeah , I can remember getting the cane a few times of Mr Mardel , Old man Bridges and Mr Smith the english teacher , and a right tw-t called Plant who used to keep giving me 500 lines , good times eh, LOL

And several very nice girls.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was there from 1965 to 1971. Mardell arrived in the second term of my first year, after the previous head died. (Name escapes me - Mr Mack??). I was in Picts house until 1969 when the boys and girls schools merged - then I was in Nicholls house.

I remember Mr Plant, mentioned above - French teacher

My form teachers were: 1st year Mr Presgrave

2nd year Mr Mann

3rd year Mr Hanson

4th year Mr Hanson

Lower 6th Miss Russell

Upper 6th Mr Tickner

• 1 year later...
grozz god I hated that man he put me off physics for good.

I think he only left a couple of years ago as both my nephew and niece had him and they left about 6 years ago!

although initially scared of the thought of being taught by Grozz, i got on with him really well and wouldnt have passed my Physics O-Level without him, although I also played in the school football team he ran, so this maybe made the difference.

although initially scared of the thought of being taught by Grozz, i got on with him really well and wouldnt have passed my Physics O-Level without him, although I also played in the school football team he ran, so this maybe made the difference.

There are two types of pupils that attended High Storrs during the long Grozz era, those that loved and those that hated the legend that is Grozz. I suppose they could be described as Scholars and Wretches, though that's not strictly true.

I was a "wretched pupil", but I'm a big fan of the man, more so now that it's 30 years since I left school.

The late SF poster Chairboy was a close friend of his and told me the Mr. Grozz was always interested in what former HS pupils were doing and that he was genuinely saddened to hear about any miss fortunes.

He arrived at High Storrs for my final year (1965-66) and I had him for A-level Maths.I thought he was a decent type,though an obvious eccentric.

If you want to catch a glimpse of him now,he attends almost all of Yorkshire CCC's home games at Headingley.

Archived