High Storrs School - 1969-1974

There are two types of pupils that attended High Storrs during the long Grozz era, those that loved and those that hated the legend that is Grozz. I suppose they could be described as Scholars and Wretches, though that's not strictly true.

I was a "wretched pupil", but I'm a big fan of the man, more so now that it's 30 years since I left school.

The late SF poster Chairboy was a close friend of his and told me the Mr. Grozz was always interested in what former HS pupils were doing and that he was genuinely saddened to hear about any miss fortunes.

I was far from a scholar, that's maybe why his teaching style suited me, he made me knuckle down and believe in myself, I wish more would have done so.

although initially scared of the thought of being taught by Grozz, i got on with him really well and wouldnt have passed my Physics O-Level without him, although I also played in the school football team he ran, so this maybe made the difference.

I played in school football team as well with Grozz in charge, he once told me that I could be the best full back High Storrs had ever had!!! Sadly, I wasn't :hihi:

Have you heard of High Storrs Grand Opening Event this Saturday 17 September? We are holding a fantastic day to celebrate the rebuilding and refurbishment of the school. Come and see us 11 am-3 pm, enjoy a chat with staff and students past and present, join us on a guided tour of the building, or perhaps purchase a copy of 'High Storrs, The Journey', priced £9.99. The event will also have family attractions and stalls, with a special opening ceremony at 2 pm with David Blunkett MP. We look forward to welcoming you on the event!

"Grozz" was my physics tutor when I was there in the late 1970s.

I remember Mr Mardell, the head, and Mr Nicholls, his deputy.

For history, I had Mr Mann and Mr Merryfield. For Biology, it was my form tutor in the 4th and 5th form, Mr K Sale. Mr Hoffman was my Head of House, I can't remember the name of the teacher who was his deputy H-O-H.

I remember the disabled lady who taught RE, and the husband and wife who taught sciences.

I used to help in the library at lunchtimes, (I enjoyed that greatly) and was in the Drama Club.

Mr Hoffman was my Head of House, I can't remember the name of the teacher who was his deputy H-O-H.

I remember the disabled lady who taught RE, and the husband and wife who taught sciences.

Deputy H-O-H of Hofman House , was it Mr. Wood?

And the husband and wife science teachers I think were the Warners

Please!

If you're going to refer to the Physics teacher known as Groz, at least spell the nickname right.

It is GROZ

The much missed Chairboy told me the source of the nickname.

And I think it should be Mr. Groz to you and me.

Please do tell about the source of his nickname.

"Grozz" was my physics tutor when I was there in the late 1970s.

I remember Mr Mardell, the head, and Mr Nicholls, his deputy.

For history, I had Mr Mann and Mr Merryfield. For Biology, it was my form tutor in the 4th and 5th form, Mr K Sale. Mr Hoffman was my Head of House, I can't remember the name of the teacher who was his deputy H-O-H.

I used to help in the library at lunchtimes, (I enjoyed that greatly) and was in the Drama Club.

Sid Hoffman (English) and Mr Nicholls (Greek/ Latin) go back to my day, 54-61. Both good guys.

Archived