what's happened to the music scene?!

paranoid

back on topic, the bands i'm talking about would have filled venues like the DnR 10 times over 5 to 10 years ago, and wouldn't even consider playing for free. to be honest, they probably wouldn't even think about playing in a pub at all

Its very very difficult to make any money as a band these days, whatever you do. Its more about art for arts sake, not for money. Times have changed so much in the last 10 years, and I cant see them going back to the way they were. Very very few pub type will consider paying a band, although most will offer some incentives such as a certain amount of free beer or food, depending on their operation. Its hard cash thats always the problem, so bands will always get SOMETHING, even if it is a bag of crisps and a free couple of pints....pubs with function rooms are different (like the grapes for example) as then the band can charge an entry fee, but many pubs only have one room these days and cant charge a door fee as the regulars may not want to pay

We get local bands trying it on all the time with emails saying stuff like, "we will play for £100 plus expenses" giving all sorts of reasons such as "exciting up and coming rock band wityh hundreds of fans" and all the usual cliches and stuff like " we will pack the place". We have booked bands from time to time who promise a "packed night", who only manage to turn up with someones Auntie Mabel in a wheelchair, a deaf Great Grandpa, and a few random family members who clearly cant stand the band and are only turning up so as not to offend their nephews or nieces, etc.

Anyway look out for exciting bands coming to Dove very soon, we are booking now, so any local bands out there need to email

lizard@doveandrainbow.com

Its very very difficult to make any money as a band these days, whatever you do. Its more about art for arts sake, not for money. Times have changed so much in the last 10 years, and I cant see them going back to the way they were. Very very few venues will consider paying a band, although most will offer some incentives such as a certain amount of free beer or food, depending on their operation. Its hard cash thats always the problem, so bands will always get SOMETHING, even if it is a bag of crisps and a free couple of pints....

We get local bands trying it on all the time with emails saying stuff like, "we will play for £100 plus expenses" giving all sorts of reasons such as "exciting up and coming rock band wityh hundreds of fans" and all the usual cliches and stuff like " we will pack the place". We have booked bands from time to time who promise a "packed night", who only manage to turn up with someones Auntie Mabel in a wheelchair, a deaf Great Grandpa, and a few random family members who clearly cant stand the band and are only turning up so as not to offend their nephews or nieces, etc.

Anyway look out for exciting bands coming to Dove very soon, we are booking now, so any local bands out there need to email

lizard@doveandrainbow.com

yeah, i understand what you're saying mate, it's tough times for everyone and it's a shame. but i still think we're talking about different sorts of bands here. you're talking about young original metal/punk sorts of bands who are keen to get their name banded about and as such will play for a bag of crisps and a can of pop

the bands i'm referring to are generally a lot older (mid 20's at least) and semi-pro with agents, and although times are hard they're still not going to play a pub gig for nothing. if you want to see for yourself, try phoning an agency like alan wood and ask them if you can hire a rock band for free :)

i remember watching bands like alcatraz at eastwood view wmc in rotherham around 6 years ago and they used to fill the place on a good night... and that place holds at least 500 (i think). last i heard, eastwood is due to close down in the near future :(

yeah, i understand what you're saying mate, it's tough times for everyone and it's a shame. but i still think we're talking about different sorts of bands here. you're talking about young original metal/punk sorts of bands who are keen to get their name banded about and as such will play for a bag of crisps and a can of pop

the bands i'm referring to are generally a lot older (mid 20's at least) and semi-pro with agents, and although times are hard they're still not going to play a pub gig for nothing. if you want to see for yourself, try phoning an agency like alan wood and ask them if you can hire a rock band for free :)

i remember watching bands like alcatraz at eastwood view wmc in rotherham around 6 years ago and they used to fill the place on a good night... and that place holds at least 500 (i think). last i heard, eastwood is due to close down in the near future :(

Hey mate if you really dig good music then why don't you venture out this weekend at Mentholman's @West Street Live. Feel free to give your feed back. I personally do not think you'll be disappointed.

Its getting harder to put music events on in Sheffield because of a lack of venues

The Grapes

The Shakespeare

Academy (1 & 2)

Leadmill (2 rooms)

Plug (3 rooms)

Boardwalk

Mentholmans

Corp

City Hall

Memorial Hall

Polish Club

Red House

Harley

Green Room

Forum

Octagon

Foundry

Frog & Parrot

Stock Room

Cremorne

I dare say i've missed more than a few too. Yep, we're struggling....

The Grapes

The Shakespeare

Academy (1 & 2)

Leadmill (2 rooms)

Plug (3 rooms)

Boardwalk

Mentholmans

Corp

City Hall

Memorial Hall

Polish Club

Red House

Harley

Green Room

Forum

Octagon

Foundry

Frog & Parrot

Stock Room

Cremorne

I dare say i've missed more than a few too. Yep, we're struggling....

you missed Dove and Rainbow, and frog and Parraot dont do live music anymore since the refurb.....stil its an impressive list....also Sheffield Hallam Union still do live gigs from time to time to.....

Nothing wrong with the venues but I do agree that the rock music from Sheffield has gone a bit stale. There are a few exceptions though.

Regarding Mantank, yeah, they are a good band. Played a few gigs with them years back.

Most of the ones you named are already holding local band nights, (the Boardwalk, the Grapes, Harley Green Room) but a lot of them are small and so can only hold 50-100 people max. The larger places like Corp, Leadmill, Octagon, Foundry and Plug etc. run their own scheduled nights with large name acts to that they can optimise income.

As for the Stock Room, I doubt they will be doing anything good for the music scene in a hurry after the <removed> I, and other people, experienced with them recently.

So basically there is stuff on, but if you want something in particular you gotta do it yourself. As I have been finding out.

Archived